shareware

Started by
12 comments, last by Master_Chief 19 years, 4 months ago
hello, Me and a couple of my friends are develloping a little 3D game. And we want to found a company. So we need money. Then i was thinking about make a shareware. Can we expect make money with a shareware ? thank you.
Advertisement
I certainly hope so, because I am working with a couple of friends to do the same thing.
Quote:Original post by Woodchuck
Me and a couple of my friends are develloping a little 3D game. And we want to found a company. So we need money. Then i was thinking about make a shareware. Can we expect make money with a shareware ?

It can and can't... If your game is good enough (or catchy), certainly there are people who will pay for it. If your game is outright boring, bad, or buggy - don't expect any riches... and either way, don't expect to make a lot of money overnight.

If you're in a jam and need money to move forward, put together a business plan and look for angel investment (for a start, then possibly approach capital investors once you have a foot hold)

BTW, here's a good gamedev thread on the shareware issue:
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=27337
Thank you for reply. Does any people here have an experience in making game shareware ?
I do. And I know some other people who sell shareware games too. So it's possible, but not easy. You not only need a game but have to market it. That means, how will you get people to your website to download your demo?
www.blueskied.com
Karl - Blueskied Games | my german site: Gratis Spiele
thx for answer lakibuk.

To market a shareware, i was planing to go everywhere on the net its possible and speak,and chat of my games. I will post screenshots and re invested all good operation done. I hope have a good website and as soon as it is possible maintain a community. We are 5 persons that can do that.
I plan write some papers about the algorithms used for the graphics engine too.

I forgot an important things ?
Try to think about to whom you want to sell the game. For example there are some big shareware portals like Realarcade or BigFishGames who mostly sell games to casual gamers. Over 50% of their customers are females aged >30. So they are successful with simple highly polished puzzle games.
Karl - Blueskied Games | my german site: Gratis Spiele
Thank you very much lalibuk, you give me hope in a way. Our shareware will be a quake like fps. So we need to target adult players, guiks and moders. Have somebody here a few portal's links attended with that people ?
Quote:Original post by Woodchuck
... Can we expect make money with a shareware ? ...

The key work is expect. Don't expect to make any money and you will be fine.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
' don't expect to be rich. just expect do "my job" one day, and in the best conditions. i just wanted to know if shareware are always a solution to sell games. Or if it is exceed. I really dont dream ... ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement