• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
stroma

in commercional games...

This topic is 5051 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi, i posted this message to "visual arts" forum but, i have no answer yet. so i move it here... i would like to know that how can i use ak47 or awp magnum weapons in a commercional game? are there any law for it? what about licences? what about prices for these licences? how can i licence my codes, my engine? what are the prices for these? all about making a commercional game.. how can i find more information? are there any article about this? and what are the other objects that are have to be licenced? soo sorry about bad english... thank you..

Advertisement
The Avtomat Kalashnikova 47 is possible the most used firearm in history. I’d be very surprised if you were in the wrong by using it in your game.

Jackson Allan

I don't know about ALL games, but many games use simmilar but false names. A good example would be Counter Strike: It started free, and used all kinds of commercial names, but as soon as CS went retail, they changed the names to be 'original' but kept the same sound and feel of the in-place names. I'm not sure if it was because they had to, or merely because they decided it would be better not to find out if they had to, etc but they did make the change

The only place you could get proper information about licensing and such would be from the proper kind of lawyer.

thank you, so i will not change my weapons, maybe make some misteakes on their names.. like AMK47 or Barettta
a mafia game without ak47, imposiblle! isn't it? :)

Quote:
Original post by stroma
thank you, so i will not change my weapons, maybe make some misteakes on their names.. like AMK47 or Barettta

I would say a Thompson Submachinegun is far more important to that setting. [wink]

Quote:
Original post by stroma

I dont think misspelling the name is the best of ideas (Apart from anything, it'll make you look a crappy speller ;)). There's also the possibility that you'd get done for using a 'confusingly similar' name, although I'm fairly sure that there's little chance of anyone really enforcing that.

Quite a lot of games use more generic terms, like 'Pistol', 'Shotgun' or 'Rifle'. If you wanted to be more specific you could also throw the caliber/gauge in there. You generally dont need much more information than that anyway.

If you're really concerned about this, I'd probably also make sure that you dont model your guns directly off real guns, as there are probably patents held for most models. Change some slight details and you should be okay, and also try to avoid using photographs from the 'net as a texture. ;)

As for licencing your code goes, it falls under the good old saying of "if you have to ask, you dont need to know" (Even though I detest the saying itself). Focus on your game for now, and if the engine is worth licencing you'll probably find out soon enough after the game is finished.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!