• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
evolutional

[.net] [Tip] Compiling .NET Dlls with VB.NET Standard

This topic is 5051 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm not sure if people are aware of this, but I think I'll throw it in anyway [grin] My workplace bought VB.NET Standard for me to develop some desktop applications. The Standard edition is pretty good, but the IDE won't let you compile a .NET .dll file, which to me is annoying. Compiling DLLs is useful for writing plugins or components that are designed to be replaced at some point in the application lifecycle. I've also found them useful when it comes to using VSA/CodeDOM technologies for scripting .NET applications - you can export your scripting interface components as a DLL and pass a reference to the ICodeCompiler referenced assemblies. As you know, the .NET compilers are free and come as part of the .NET SDK, it's the VB.NET Standard IDE that imposes this restriction on DLL creation. For those of you who would like to compile your own DLLs under VB.NET Standard, follow these simple steps. 1) Create a new Project 2) Open the new *.vbproj file in a text editor 3) Look for the XML attributes in VisualStudioProject\VisualBasic\Build\Settings called "OutputType" and "StartupObject". 4) Change 'OutputType' to "Library" and "StartupObject" to "" 5) Save the file and reload into VB.NET When you compile this project it'll compile as a DLL, meaning you are then free to add it as a reference to other assemblies and do whatever else you want it for. Hope someone finds this useful, I know I did.

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!