• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Axiverse

Variable argument Macro

This topic is 5127 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

does anyone know how to make a macro that takes multiple arguments? (for use with functions that have "..." or variable arguments )

Advertisement
I don't quite understand your question. Is it that you need to create functions with variable arguments and don't know how? If that's the case, look at this OpenGL tutorial on NeHe: click. Take a look at the glPrint function. In it he uses variable arguments. This is how I learned. You will need stdarg.h. If you need further help, consult that msdn pages or post some more. Sorry if this isn't what you needed.

It's not a part of standard C++, nor is it in C89, but I think C99 may have some support for it(not a lot of compilers supporting C99 out there, though). GCC lets you define variadic macros like this:

#define PRINTF_DEBUG( format, args...) xprintf( putc_debug, format, args )

VC++ does not, to my knowledge, have any support for variadic macros.

Guest Anonymous Poster
C99 does indeed define syntax for variadic macros, although I'm not sure how widely supported it is.

The definition for a variadic macro is similar to a variadic function:

#define MACRO(a, b, ...) // etc.

and the unnamed parameters are referenced by "__VA_ARGS__".

You need to be a bit careful when working with variadic macros. I'll quickly illustrate a simple problem: consider the following macro, designed to call a constructor for some type.

#define CONSTRUCT(typename, var, ...) CONSTRUCT_##typename(var, __VA_ARGS__)

If no parameters are provided to the macro, however, it expands to (say):

CONSTRUCT_WINDOW(mainwnd, )

which is incorrect. C99 thus allows the token concatenation operator, "##", to omit a preceding comma if the operator's right-hand side is empty. So by changing the macro definition to

#define CONSTRUCT(typename, var, ...) CONSTRUCT_##typename(var, ## __VA_ARGS__)

the above example would expand to

CONSTRUCT_WINDOW(mainwnd)

as desired.

err... i just want a to make a macro that uses swprintf and _scwprintf, but you would only have to write it in once...

something like:

PString result = new String ( false, _scwprintf ( formatstring, args ) );
swprintf ( *result, formatstring, args );

where args could be multiple arguments...

This works, but is a bit ugly:

// The define:
#define MYPRINTF(args) printf args

// Usage: Note the double-bracketing.
MYPRINTF(("num=%d\n", num));

Tricky huh?

james

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!