OpenGL 3D engine: lighting, texturing, model loading works... what next?

Started by
16 comments, last by Ainokea 19 years, 4 months ago
I made all those things work now, and now I don't really know what to do next... it should become a little game engine with all graphical OpenGL functions and a bit of low-level game engine functions... Greets, Adriaan
Advertisement
Blending- it is nice for puzzle games
Billboarding support- well, it is more like just using glOrtho but its still useful for menus, gui, etc.
Fog- well, it is small to code and it is a part of opengl functions..
Collision Detection- no game is completed, even Pong, without collision detection.
Stencil Buffers- i mean to mirrors and shadows.
GUI- i wont say it is a must, but it is easier to work with the engine instead of the engine + another library. dont forget you have to make it billboarded.

pex.
pex.
Post-Processing Effects like Motion blur, Gaussian Blur and anything ur imagination can think of. Good for drunk/slomo effects, or transperancy by having a 'pixel offset' image applied to the copied framebuffer image to simulate refraction etc.

Bump Mapping and the next step Virtual Displacement Mapping. Very nice for making a simple surface look more detailed.

Animation, Bone Matrices is the best way, and a good way is to us shaders to offload the calculations to the GPU.

Experiment with shaders...Alot.

Twixn
I am Me...you cant argue with THAT can you!!!
How does billboarding exactly work?
And bone animations?
Or better do you know some tutorials?
Many thanks!
Adriaan
Particle systems are good, doesn't take much code to make an interesting effect. You can start off drawing the particles as points or lines then move to billboarded quads (or point sprites). Plain lines make ok sparks. I made a little tornado demo using just white points... didn't look *that* good but it ran in software GL on a p166 :)

You can change the colours based on time or speed, add gravity, make particles bounce off things, you can come up with tons of different stuff if you use your imagination.

NeHe article on particle systems
Decaling, physics, dynamics, particles, orthographic projection (for 2D stuff), etc.

Basically what is required for the game you are making (unless you are simply making an engine which is not that good since then you get moments like this when you wonder "what to do next?").
Particle systems are not that importznt for me now... I like more the idea of billboarding for a GUI and a bone animation system.
Again, can someone explain more on these or point me to a tutorial?
no need to billboard the gui. render them before camera movements they will not change position. (i use this technic)
for billboarding there is a example program @oepngl GP book. you can download it from: http://glbook.gamedev.net/source.asp i dont remember the chapter of it.
+-+-+-+-+-STR
it was @chapter15: the cacti program
+-+-+-+-+-STR
well, gui without billboarding doesnt work for me =\ (it has to face the camera, so i dont know how it will work without billboarding when you move the camera)
anyway, here there is a tutorial on bone animation for MD3 models.
here for MS3D models.

pex.
pex.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement