wxWidgets and SVG

Started by
4 comments, last by jdhardy 19 years, 4 months ago
I'm starting to design an app that I'd like to have run on both GNOME and OS X. (other platforms an unexpected bonus) I've looked at wxWidgets and it's got (beta?) Cocoa support coming out on december 1 (hopefully). I think I am about to finally go learn to use wx stuff, BUT I need some serious SVG support. I'm not sure wx provides it, but before I start including librsvg into this project, I'd like to make sure. (I'd also like to know what kind of support wx has for being given rendered images directly in memory, if I have to use librsvg directly) Google isn't much help here. I've seen allusions to SVG support in several places, but none of the docs mention it. (afaict)
Advertisement
Using librsvg to render the images shouldn't be too hard. You could derive from wxFrame and make a wxSVGFrame.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
You could use ImageMagick which supports SVG (though how completely I'm not sure). It uses freetype2 and libxml2 which are both available for all three major platforms.
hmm.

librsvg depends on GDK and GLIB, which is fine for gnome, but not so much for OS X.

There is no OS X native port of GTK, so chinging toolkits is out, which means I need a different rendering library.

Any suggestions?
Quote:Original post by petewood
You could use ImageMagick which supports SVG (though how completely I'm not sure). It uses freetype2 and libxml2 which are both available for all three major platforms.
(this appeared after my last post)

It seems a bit heavyweight. I'd really prefer a lightweight library...
There's libsvg, which is part of Cairo, but other than that I don't know of any except librsvg. I don't think libsvg and Cario are far enough along to use in any sort of production environment, but they may be worth a look.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement