critique my ideas on game design

Started by
1 comment, last by hplus0603 19 years, 4 months ago
I recently joined and I am working on a game right now, but I need more people to help me. Anyways, I want to know this first off. I was watching G4 techtv and they were showing the history on the greatest franchize Metal Gear Solid by the creator Takahshi. ( I can never remember his first name) They talked about how his ideas were put down-that recently happened to me when I joined this other forum- and how he was mistreated. But they also explained how he was very inthused about making games and they asked him a question about how much time does he have to PLAY games and he replied and said, " I don't have time for playing games." I am a very dedicated person for game design and I am going to start my team now. I also plan to release my game on the upcoming Xbox 2. Now get this I told my friend this, but I didn't tell him my ideas and he asked me, "how are you going to get the money and software to do this." and I said "Just know that I am going to complete this." We talked for a while and he told me that the Lead game designer doesn't need to know programming, and that he just gives orders. I want to know is this true or not. I really am looking forward to making friends on this forum. Peace!1 (If you can figure out how to get that link off my page I'd appreaciate it. maybe its a bug)
Advertisement
I dont know how experienced you are, but you cant just go and start making games for next gen hardware. usually, you have to make some type of prototypem usually for the pc, and show it to a developer or publisher(not sony, microsoft, or nintendo) then, they may consider publishing your game for consoles. And, from what i know, the designer doesnt do any programming, but should probably have a basic understanding of programming concepts so he can work with the coders
______________________________My website: Quest Networks
To develop for the X-box, I suggest you get a dual-CPU G5 PowerMac and stick a GeForce 6800 in it. Then develop for MacOS X 10.3. It won't be exactly the same as the target console, but it's as close as you can get right now. Especially RAM will be much tighter -- probably only 256 MB shared between graphics and CPU.

Now, to create game content for next-generation consoles, you're going to have about 20 experienced artists to be competetive (my guess: 4 animators, 4 texture artists, 6 modelers, 4 level designers and 2 lighters). It'd be interesting to know where you're going to find them.

My suggestion: start with a simple game, that you alone, and possibly a single friend, can make, for the PC (or Mac), in 3 months or less. Plan it out. Make it happen. The double the game (4 people, 6 months) and see if you can make THAT happen. Then repeat.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement