• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
forient

Engine of Colin McRae Rally

This topic is 5132 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Dear All, I am interested to know which 3D engine used at Colin McRae Rally. Is it one OpenGL engine? If it is one OpenGL engine, what is the advantage of OpenGL to MS DirectX. Greatly appreciate for any input! forient

Advertisement
This is actually a very common question (the OpenGL vs. DX), and it causes such extreme argumants that it's forbidden. I won't give a straight answer because I'd get flamed [grin]. Different versions of Colin McRae used different APIs for different platforms.

OGL and DX can accomplish the same thing. Neither one is better, faster, easier in any way. I suggest trying both out to figure out which you prefer.

By the way, while OGL is only a graphics API, DX has tools for input, sound, networking, and music/video. There are libraries similar to these for OGL, but you would have to search for them.

Another plus for OGL is it is multiplatform. It can run on windows, Linux and Mac. DX will only run on windows. If cross platform ability is important to you, you are probably going to have to go with OGL.

Also, DX is much more Object Oriented than OGL. Depending on how you learned to program, this could be a plus for either API.

Original post by Sr_Guapo
OGL and DX can accomplish the same thing. Neither one is better, faster, easier in any way. I suggest trying both out to figure out which you prefer.

quote]

Greatly appreciate your analysis for me! That really clears my questions on the two.

Also thanks Drakkcon, I will notice this issue and avoid useless argument.

Quote:
Original post by Venerable Vampire
I also would not like to start a flame war

Quote:
Micro$oft

'nuff said.

Quote:
Original post by nes8bit
Quote:
I also would not like to start a flame war

Quote:
Micro$oft

'nuff said.

Though his reasoning is that of a troll, DX is indeed not very portable. As I regard the XBox a stripped down PC with a light-weight Win2K kernel, I don't regard the XBox flavour of DX8 a port. As the XBox2 is rumored to be some kind of IBM Power PC based system, its DX version will most propably be the first true DX port.

Quote:
I also would not like to start a flame war, but how can you even suggest that Micro$oft would even think of PORTING DIRECTX. It's like a staple of windows.

Micro$oft wouldn't, but that dosen't stop anyone else. If someone really wanted to do a re-implementation for a different platform they could. I seriously doubt M$ would be able to stop them, because you would give it another name and just say it's compatabile witrh DX.

MesaGL is not OpenGL, but is practically the same thing, and OpenGL code can run in Mesa.

Also how do you think WINE works? It's got a reimplementation of DX built into it. Look at the source cod eif you don't believe me.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!