Ways of controlling NPCs

Started by
15 comments, last by Nazrix 19 years, 4 months ago
Here are some ideas I had about controlling NPCs either directly or more indirectly.
  • You could do something to scare an NPC which will cause them to be afraid of doing a certain something E.G. you sneak behind an NPC as he walks out in the woods to chop some trees and you scare him somehow (either with an illusion spell, or maybe you could lure a fierce animal out there...there are some other ideas I can't think of all the way here…..it would depend on what the NPC is afraid of) …now the NPC is afraid to go to that part of the woods and you don't have to worry about the NPC going around here anymore
  • Gain an NPCs admiration and they will do favors for you
  • First get the NPC afraid of you personally and then tell them to do something. They will do it or not depending on how afraid they are of you. This is different than the above example because then they were afraid of *something* in the woods so they avoid the woods not you.
  • Get into a position of power (head of guild, town, etc)
  • Use of magic (Charm Spells?)
Any comments?
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Nazrix
Here are some ideas I had about controlling NPCs either directly or more indirectly.

• You could do something to scare an NPC which will cause them to be afraid of doing a certain something

This could be alot of fun, but it'd have to be an integral part of the game. Say I scare the blacksmith. There had better be some consequences more reaching than a side item when I talk to him.

He should say something like "I was going to get some coal from the mine, when this HUGE thing just leaped out at me. If you want your sword, you'll have to get some coal yourself. Here's where it's at. If you succeed, I'll give you my uber-super-cool-item."

Like that.

Quote:
  • Gain an NPCs admiration and they will do favors for you

• What could the NPC do? The favor's should be something you as a player wouldn't want to do yourself.

Quote:
  • First get the NPC afraid of you personally and then tell them to do something. They will do it or not depending on how afraid they are of you.

• How is this different from having them admire you? I think doing one or the other should give you different things they'll do for you.

Quote:
  • Get into a position of power (head of guild, town, etc)

• One thing that bugged me in Morrowind is that when you finally became the chief assassin, you couldn't accept any more kill contracts or issue any to your underlings.

If you're the chief blacksmith, you should be able to alter every blacksmith in the game, or there isn't any point.

Quote:
  • Use of magic (Charm Spells?)

• Okay, you charmed the poor butcher.... now what? What can this let you do that's different from having them do something because they love/fear you?

I think you could put the idea of NPC manipulation in some kind of game, by itself, where the purpose is to control the whole town, and then do something with it.
    [size=2]Darwinbots - [size=2]Artificial life simulation
    Quote:Original post by Numsgil

What could the NPC do? The favor's should be something you as a player wouldn't want to do yourself.

I'm thinking of things such as illegal things you don't want to take the risk for. Also maybe useful tasks such as telling the NPC to guard a certain spot.

(A little bit like commands in a strategy RTS type game)

Quote:

How is this different from having them admire you? I think doing one or the other should give you different things they'll do for you.

Well, I forgot to mention that I'm trying to make a pretty freeform type RPG game.

So, this way it would be different in what kind of character you play. Are you a likeable character or a scary one (or neither in which case neither of these would work for you)?

Quote:

One thing that bugged me in Morrowind is that when you finally became the chief assassin, you couldn't accept any more kill contracts or issue any to your underlings.

If you're the chief blacksmith, you should be able to alter every blacksmith in the game, or there isn't any point.

I agree. That is the sort of authority that I'd like to have available.
    Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
    I'm thinking of things such as illegal things you don't want to take the risk for. Also maybe useful tasks such as telling the NPC to guard a certain spot.

(A little bit like commands in a strategy RTS type game)

I'd very much like to see something like this take center stage in a game. Maybe you can create a kind of grass roots army, and battle other towns with it. Obviously you don't want your RPG to become a RTS, but if you lean in that direction some, you end up with a very unique game.

Quote:
    So, this way it would be different in what kind of character you play. Are you a likeable character or a scary one (or neither in which case neither of these would work for you)?

I'd have some actions that one or the other wouldn't want to do, because if they did they'd ruin their street cred. Maybe you want to rob the bank, but don't want to take the rap. Definately some possibilites.

Definately have teh gameplay distinguish between evil and good, but of course you knew that already [wink].

Quote:
    I agree. That is the sort of authority that I'd like to have available.

Definately make it integral to the story some how.

I can see maybe some kind of RTS and RPG mixed together, but that might not be what you're going for. If it isn't, you might want to put it in anyway, and work within it, because it sounds pretty cool.

That's just me of course.
    I'd very much like to see something like this take center stage in a game. Maybe you can create a kind of grass roots army, and battle other towns with it. Obviously you don't want your RPG to become a RTS, but if you lean in that direction some, you end up with a very unique game.

That's actually exactly what I am thinking.

Quote:
    Definately make it integral to the story some how.

I can see maybe some kind of RTS and RPG mixed together, but that might not be what you're going for. If it isn't, you might want to put it in anyway, and work within it, because it sounds pretty cool.

That's just me of course.

Actually an RTS and RPG mixed is exactly what I am going for. I didn't mention that 'cause the times I did some people get a little confused, but I can see you and I are exactly on the same page. :)

I'm going for a game that is more RPG than RTS but sometimes it may feel like an RTS from a single person's point of view.

An RTS with choices made from a single person rather than a bird's-eye view. But with more depth than an RTS and more character development and interaction like an RPG.

Thanks for your input ;)

That's actually exactly what I am thinking.

Oh good, because it sounds really good to me. Definately playable. I just didn't want to say "make an RPG RTS!" and have you say "uh, that's not what my game is at all" [wink]

Quote:
    Actually an RTS and RPG mixed is exactly what I am going for. I didn't mention that 'cause the times I did some people get a little confused, but I can see you and I are exactly on the same page. :)

I'm going for a game that is more RPG than RTS but sometimes it may feel like an RTS from a single person's point of view.

An RTS with choices made from a single person rather than a bird's-eye view. But with more depth than an RTS and more character development and interaction like an RPG.

Thanks for your input ;)

I can't wait. I don't think I've ever played a game like that. It definately sounds really cool.
    I'm really glad that you think it sounds promising.

This general idea has been going through my head for very long and I've only completed code and design for some parts of it.

But I'm starting to get back into wanting to create it.
    you forgot bribery :)
    --- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
    Quote:Original post by krez
    you forgot bribery :)

Good one.

I also just thought of the possibility of getting an NPC drunk and then they may be temporarily more able to be influenced
    hmm, or kidnapping their loved ones and threatening them if the task isn't done.

sorry about the quick low-content messages, these are just random thoughts as i pass by :)
    --- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement