• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
digitalfreak

what model format should I choose for writing a loader?

This topic is 5046 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to write a model loader for my engine, so I want to support the most widely used most popular format. which one(s) do you recommand? and where can I find some descriptions of that format so I can write the loader?

Advertisement
I suggest you using one of formats listed below:
- *.md2 (used in Quake 2 for example)
- *.md3 (e.g. Quake 3)
- *.3ds (format in which models are exported by 3ds Max)
- *.lws (format in which models are exported by Lightwave)
- *.x (DirectX format)

If you're programming in DirectX, .x format is probably the easiest one to use. Otherwise, I suggest choosing .3ds as it gives many possibilities and is widely used. But if you want to use models created for Quake choose .md2 or .md3.
There is a lot of information on Internet about writing model loaders to each of listed formats.

for your own engine i suggest you to make your own format with your needs like bone animation, multi skin support....

Quote:
Original post by stroma
for your own engine i suggest you to make your own format with your needs like bone animation, multi skin support....

I second that.

Quote:
so I want to support the most widely used most popular format.
so i dont think you should write you're own format UNLESS you are willing to write a converter, in which case you may as well just put loading into your engine :P

MD3 is a nice format, lots and lots of free models and here is a tutorial on loading them (3rd ish one from top)

Quote:
Original post by silvermace
Quote:
so I want to support the most widely used most popular format.
so i dont think you should write you're own format UNLESS you are willing to write a converter, in which case you may as well just put loading into your engine :P

MD3 is a nice format, lots and lots of free models and here is a tutorial on loading them (3rd ish one from top)

Still you will need an MD3 converter/plugin for 3DS/Maya/Cinema4D - you name it [wink] The major drawback of MD3 is that it doesn't use skeleton-based animations. Still it's a good start, though I would go for a more modern or custom format.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!