what model format should I choose for writing a loader?

Started by
4 comments, last by darookie 19 years, 4 months ago
I want to write a model loader for my engine, so I want to support the most widely used most popular format. which one(s) do you recommand? and where can I find some descriptions of that format so I can write the loader?
Advertisement
I suggest you using one of formats listed below:
- *.md2 (used in Quake 2 for example)
- *.md3 (e.g. Quake 3)
- *.3ds (format in which models are exported by 3ds Max)
- *.lws (format in which models are exported by Lightwave)
- *.x (DirectX format)

If you're programming in DirectX, .x format is probably the easiest one to use. Otherwise, I suggest choosing .3ds as it gives many possibilities and is widely used. But if you want to use models created for Quake choose .md2 or .md3.
There is a lot of information on Internet about writing model loaders to each of listed formats.
for your own engine i suggest you to make your own format with your needs like bone animation, multi skin support....
+-+-+-+-+-STR
Quote:Original post by stroma
for your own engine i suggest you to make your own format with your needs like bone animation, multi skin support....

I second that.
Quote:so I want to support the most widely used most popular format.
so i dont think you should write you're own format UNLESS you are willing to write a converter, in which case you may as well just put loading into your engine :P

MD3 is a nice format, lots and lots of free models and here is a tutorial on loading them (3rd ish one from top)
"I am a donut! Ask not how many tris/batch, but rather how many batches/frame!" -- Matthias Wloka & Richard Huddy, (GDC, DirectX 9 Performance)

http://www.silvermace.com/ -- My personal website
Quote:Original post by silvermace
Quote:so I want to support the most widely used most popular format.
so i dont think you should write you're own format UNLESS you are willing to write a converter, in which case you may as well just put loading into your engine :P

MD3 is a nice format, lots and lots of free models and here is a tutorial on loading them (3rd ish one from top)

Still you will need an MD3 converter/plugin for 3DS/Maya/Cinema4D - you name it [wink] The major drawback of MD3 is that it doesn't use skeleton-based animations. Still it's a good start, though I would go for a more modern or custom format.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement