Looking for *Mediocre* 3D Modelling Software

Started by
16 comments, last by GeorgeFrick 19 years, 4 months ago
I'm looking for a fairly priced 3D modelling software, around $100 or so. I have a trial version of Milkshape 3D, and it seems OK, though a couple of fundamental features are lacking. The full version costs $25, and that's about right for a program like that. I went looking for slighly more professional software than that, but the prices are a bit shocking. I'm sure those programs are packed with features, but I truly doubt I will need that many. 3DS Max goes for $3500! Lightwave 3D and Maya are a bit cheaper, but still more than I'm looking for ($1000). I guess I'm looking for something better than MilkShape, but less steep than these professional modellers. A price around $100 sounds good to me, with matching features. Does anybody know of anything that would fit these needs? Thanks.
.:<<-v0d[KA]->>:.
Advertisement
I'm no expert, but maybe you could try Blender. Its free, and should meet your needs. Caligari Gamespace might fit your needs too, altohugh I have never used it.
Scott SimontisMy political blog
Have you looked into Gamespace? I believe it is a cut down version of Truespace that is geared more towards game developers. I think it costs around $300, but if you are eligible, there may be an academic version as well.

What kind of things are you going to be doing? Is this purely for creating and animating models for games, or are you going to be doing other stuff as well?

Edit: Damn, beaten to it...
Sean Henley [C++ Tutor]Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
if you are a student you can get same softwares which cost thousands for only hundreds. www.studica.com has offers for students and are pretty cheap. Maya unlimited costs only 369 bucks for student from that site and all others are also cheap. A little more money then what you want to spend but try it anyways, You might find a better deal.

Cheers
funaki
What kind of a student do you need to be to take advantage of the discounts? Just a regular high school student?

Also, the commercial package on almost any 3D modeller costs *a lot* more than the standard one. Is there something truly critical that the standard one can't do? For example, you can't save anything in an unregistered copy of MilkShape 3D -- is it that bad on the standard package, or is it just some minor lack of features?

EDIT:
Looks like Caligari Gamespace (academic) and Lightwave 3D (academic) cost exactly the same with student discounts (provided I'm elligble?). Which would you recommend?

It should be mentioned that Lightwave costs $1500 originally, and Gamespace costs $300 originally - the savings on Gamespace aren't much.

But still, perhaps, despite the big price gap, Gamespace might be better?

[Edited by - v0dKA on November 27, 2004 4:48:22 PM]
.:<<-v0d[KA]->>:.
I think you my be eligible as a high school student, but it may depend on the license. I get all my academic software through the Oklahoma State University bookstore (though I am a high school student). It may be different if you are ordering online, however (student ID,etc.).
Sean Henley [C++ Tutor]Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
In a single word . . . GMax.

GMax has the tools of 3D Studio Max, it is free, and will help you learn 3DS before you can afford to buy it.

There is no rendering engine, as it is a tool for video game development, but you will be building skills with it.

If you are a student, then you can get a greatly reduced price on programs like 3DS Max and Lightwave, and is worth looking into, as well as saving for.
Making Dreams and Nightmares a Virtual Reality,
Quote:Original post by v0dKA
What kind of a student do you need to be to take advantage of the discounts? Just a regular high school student?

http://www.studica.com/products/who_can_order.cfm

Also about gamespace. Here is another quote

Quote: I recently started using trueSpace since it has been sitting on my shelf for 3 years now. I didn't really think I was an artist but I was quite surprised at how easy it was once I learned the tool set.
Hopefully, Maya is nicer than trueSpace as trueSpace is kind of a clunky product with a company that likes to take features out of future releases. That's right, they actually take features in previous versions and make you pay extra for them in future versions. I don't consider that customer friendly.

Just a warning. Some customers arent really happy with gamespace. While lightwave is a fairly good package and would prefer Lightwave over gamespace.

Just my $.02
Don't know if it is quiet what you are looking for but:

Anim8or

[Edited by - pkelly83 on November 28, 2004 12:29:17 PM]
how about softimage xsi? foundation version is 500$ & it sounds much closer to 3Dsmax/maya then it is to milkshape/blender

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement