• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
DarkZoulz

MD2 inverted?

This topic is 5128 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am attempting to render a mesh loaded from a MD2 file. MD2 files use a right-handed coordinate system it seems, and so the Y and Z values need to switched to work properly in a left-handed system. I have done this, but the mesh still looks funny when rendered. Some faces are rendered on top of others that should be behind them. I've tried clockwise and counter-clockwise culling and even tried turning it off. Any clues?

Advertisement
my guess is your not interpreting the md2's state data correctly, md2's have some of their triangles arranged in triangle strips and others in triangle fans, and the rest as a fat pile of triangles. http://linux.ucla.edu/~phaethon/q3/formats/md2-schoenblum.html has info on that, they seem to call it "GL COMMANDS" in this resource, im willing to bet that thats the problem, i remember with my md2's i screwed something up when i was interpreting these "commands" and it looked something like what your describing, id look into that

hope that helps
-Dan

So you need to divid the mesh into triangle strips and fans? I am currently just taking all the vertices and stuffing them into a vertex buffer and rendering it as a triangle list (indexed).

The thing is, the actual mesh looks ok (the position of all the vertices are correct). It just seems as if triangles are sorted incorrectly. Some are clockwise, while others are counter clockwise or something. But the strange thing is, it looks wierd even if I turn culling off.

btw, I've been using just that link you write my MD2 loader. ;)

I can't really say what your problem is based on the description you've given - it sounds like there may be a bug in your loader - but you definitely *don't* need to use the GL commands. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to build simple triangle lists. The GL commands will probably be much less efficient than triangle lists stored in vertex buffers.

I've looked around and most MD2 loaders that use D3D seem to ignore the GL Commands.

First I create a index buffer from the "triangles" in the MD2 file. Then I create a vertex buffer from the vertex data in the first frame of the MD2 file. Next I try to render it with a simple DrawIndexedPrimitive() call.

I've tried to render the vertices as indexed and as non-indexed (by creating a seperate vertex for each index in a triangle). No dice.

Can it have anything to do with the Z buffer? As culling doesn't seem to matter I mean? It looks just like it's drawing pixels with a "deeper" Z value over pixels that should be infront.

MD2 files have a coordinate system different from both OpenGL and Direct3D. To load an MD2 file in OpenGL you need to swap the y and z axis. To load it in Direct3D you need to swap the y and z axis and negate the z axis.

Ok, i've tried that too now. Still same problem though. :(

Snippet from when i'm filling my D3D vertex buffer:

pVertices[i * 3].x = ((float)m_pFrames[frame].pVertices[m_pTris.vertexIndices[0]].vertex[0] * m_pFrames[frame].scale[0]) + m_pFrames[frame].translate[0];
pVertices[i * 3].z = -(((float)m_pFrames[frame].pVertices[m_pTris.vertexIndices[0]].vertex[1] * m_pFrames[frame].scale[1]) + m_pFrames[frame].translate[1]);
pVertices[i * 3].y = ((float)m_pFrames[frame].pVertices[m_pTris.vertexIndices[0]].vertex[2] * m_pFrames[frame].scale[2]) + m_pFrames[frame].translate[2];

m_pFrames contains the MD2 frames just as they are in the file.
m_pTris has the MD2 triangles.
pVertices is the pointer to the buffer i'm filling.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!