• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Akugaijin

Design Jobs: Scripting skills?

This topic is 5135 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have been testing in this industry for about two years now, and I now realize that its hard to make the transition to design just by being social and having "cool" ideas, especially when working at AAA companies who have a proven design team. When I look at most requirement lists for design jobs, its says Maya or 3DS Max and basic scripting. I work in Maya all the time and am failry comfortable with it, but the scripting part I am not so sure about. I dled Python and play with it a fair bit and I have seen some companies saying LUA is helpful. I don't really have any interest in getting seriously into programming, but I would like to understand what companies mean when they say they want someone versed in scripting. I know every company is different but any advice on this would be appreciated.

Advertisement
Alot of games implement alot of gameplay elements through a scripting language that works with the game. Lua or Python or something. It allows the game designers to tweak the gameplay and stuff without needing to bother a programmer and recompile the game.

Guest Anonymous Poster
It means they want someone who can program.

Guest Anonymous Poster
And someone that has done some game "scripting" so that they have experience in the mechanics of making the game do what they want it to do.

My suggestion is you buy a modable game and make a little mod for it. That way you'll get into scripting for a professional game, and I suppose that's what the HR people is looking for.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!