My first game has been released!

Started by
14 comments, last by UberXenon 23 years, 6 months ago
OK, I just uploaded my first game to the showcase area. Block Blaster! is a simple Tetris clone that I wrote in C++ using Win32 and DirectX. I would love some feedback from some of you more experienced developers. The README.txt file has some info about the design and programming of the game, so be sure and read it. The entire source code is included in the download. Be sure and let me know what you think: byrdjb@email.uah.edu. Thanks a lot! ------------------------------------------------------------ Four young warriors arrive, each holding an ORB... byrdjb@email.uah.edu. Edited by - UberXenon on 10/16/00 12:26:45 AM
------------------------------------------------------------Four young warriors arrive, each holding an ORB...byrdjb@email.uah.edu
Advertisement
I almost forgot how much I loved tetris. I like the block explosion effect when you complete a line. Ran perfectly on my system

AMD K6-2 500
64MB PC100 RAM
16MB Voodoo Banshee

My Homepage
I forgot how much I liked Tetris too. The exploding blocks was a very nice touch. If I may make one suggestion, I think the enter key would be better for changing the block rather than the up arrow but that's just my opinion. I don't mean to be picky but everything else was very well-done

Ran well on mine too...
333 Cyrix
64 MB ram
4 MB Diamond Stealth II Video Card

"""" "'Nazrix is cool' -- Nazrix" --Darkmage --Godfree"-Nazrix" -- runemaster --and now dwarfsoft" -- dwarfsoft --pouya --nes8bit --CmndrM " -- Nazrix
"If your parents didn't explain this one, I'm not going to." --Felisandria
"You know you're cool when you're in Nazrix's sig " --Martee
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.

Edited by - Nazrix on October 16, 2000 4:10:38 AM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
nice
the exploding block effect really kicks ass
i also like the ability to be able to see how many of what block has passed.
Cool!

Japio
____________________________Mmmm, I''ll have to think of one.
Thanks for all the positive feedback, guys! A few questions:

1. Has anyone experienced the weird crash that I talked about in the README? You''ll probably have to play several games to actually see it show up. This is very very strange.

2. I''d like some source code level feedback if anyone has the time to really dig into my code and see what''s going on. I made a lot of comments in the README about what I thought went well and what I thought I could have done better.

OK, thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------
Four young warriors arrive, each holding an ORB...

byrdjb@email.uah.edu
------------------------------------------------------------Four young warriors arrive, each holding an ORB...byrdjb@email.uah.edu
hate to say this, but it doesnt work on my computer.

when i run it, the screen goes black, then comes back to my desktop. i even went and downloaded the directx 7.0a patch.

any suggestions?
http://fakemind.com
cool game dude

hopefully that worked

-arsenius
'after three days without programming, life becomes meaningless' -The Tao of Programming
Jerimiah: I''m not sure exactly what is going on with your particular computer. Why don''t you post the specs of your machine and I''ll try to think of what might be going on.

For the record, this was developed in Visual C++ 6.0 sp3 in Win2000 sp1, so I have only tested it thoroughly in Win2000. I noticed some possible strange problems with the timer that makes the blocks fall when I ran it on a Win98 box the other day. I may have taken some stuff for granted on the robustness of Win2000, so things may be a little flaky in 95/98/Me. Anyone else getting a crash right from the start like Jerimiah?

------------------------------------------------------------
Four young warriors arrive, each holding an ORB...

byrdjb@email.uah.edu
my complete machine specs...

IBM K6 233MHz MMX-Enhanced Processor
32 MB SyncDRAM Memory
3.2 GB Hard Drive
64KB L1 Cache
1 MB SyncGraphics Memory
64-bit ATI Rage II with Direct3D
running Windows 95

-jeremiah

i can only dream of a 1.4 Ghz with 256MB of ram hooked up to an O3 connection (not running windows).
http://fakemind.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement