My first game has been released!

Started by
14 comments, last by UberXenon 23 years, 6 months ago
I''m assuming "1 MB SyncGraphics Memory" means your video memory. In that case, 1MB *may* not be enough memory for all of the bitmaps, so that *might* be crashing the program. I havne''t added up all the sizes of the bitmaps/surfaces *exactly*, so it''s hard for me to say exactly.

Also, I noticed the other day when I was testing that my game hangs if you try to ALT-TAB out to another window. Questions:

1. How difficult is it do *disable* ALT-TAB from within your app?

2. Even better, what kind of work is involved with making sure your program can work correctly w/ ALT-TAB? Do you have to flush/reload all the surfaces and stuff like that when you trap an ALT-TAB?

------------------------------------------------------------
Four young warriors arrive, each holding an ORB...

byrdjb@email.uah.edu
------------------------------------------------------------Four young warriors arrive, each holding an ORB...byrdjb@email.uah.edu
Advertisement
quote:Original post by UberXenon

I''m assuming "1 MB SyncGraphics Memory" means your video memory.

byrdjb@email.uah.edu

It means video memory? Are you sure? I''m no expert but how could he have a card that is advanced enough to support D3D and only be 1MB ov Video memory?

""You see... I'm not crazy... you see?!? Nazrix believes me!" --Wavinator
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
im not sure if this would help, but maybe if you sent me an editted version of the game that would allow me to slowly walk through the loading of the game, i could tell you exactly where it crashes. it wouldnt even have to be the whole version of the game, just the loading up part. anyway, just a thought.
http://fakemind.com
Jerimiah: I really don''t want to take the time to edit it down to a "load-only" version. There are some message boxes built in that are supposed to pop up when a fatal error occurs, so I don''t know why it''s just bombing out with no message. Either way, since it''s a full-screen app, it''ll be really tough to debug without multi-montior or remote debugging set up. Was I right about you only having 1MB of video RAM? If so, I really think that may be what''s happening.

Also, this has got me wondering. I''m really just wanting to move on from this first game and start working on a new one rather than doing extensive testing to make sure that this works on a wide array of computers. I''ve declared this game "done" and I really just don''t want to mess with it anymore. How have some of you other folks handled this after you put out a game?

byrdjb@email.uah.edu
------------------------------------------------------------Four young warriors arrive, each holding an ORB...byrdjb@email.uah.edu
thats fine. only reason i suggested that is to help you out if you wanted to know why it wasnt working correctly.

good luck with your future games!
http://fakemind.com
Well Now,

Lol, thats cool. Good luck with any more games you decide to make...

STVOY

Pyre Light Studios (Under Construction)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement