• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
absriram

GPU Processing Power

This topic is 4951 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi All, I was going through the specifications of my ATI Radeon 9700 Pro graphics card. It had the ability to processors 16 textures per pass. What does this mean? If I am using pixel and fragment shaders using Cg, how can I utilize this feature to improve the performance of my application? Is there a paper that you guys can suggest that will give more details on this? Thank you, Sriram.

Advertisement
all it means, as Ademan55 says, is that you can have 16 textures bound at any given point in time, thus in a fragment program you can sample each of them in one pass, so say you had a terrain which needed 6 textures applied to it, you could bind all 6 textures and output the fragment based on those 6, however if you had say a GF4 and could only bind 4 textures at a time you would have to make 2 passes, splitting somehow.

Now,more textures bound at once can be a good thing, as it would mean you wouldnt have to bind/unbind as often and all the issues that go with it, however using 16 samples per fragment can slow things down and also if the textures are large they could take up more video ram than you want, causing thrashing as things are moved in an out of memory.

As to how to use them, just like you would in any other multitexture example, active the unit, bind the texture, set the params and give it texture coords (or generate them in a vertex program if needs be)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!