• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Four

Low level graphics programming

This topic is 5134 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What does MS Windows use for graphics? VESA VGA etc..? Sorry, for the confussing question, I don't know what I want, I don't know enough. For a project I need to develope an "operating system video game". On some sites states that video memory is at 0xA0000000, others at 0xA000 or 0xA0000. None work for me. Where may I start? Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
Windows uses the GDI interface for graphics drivers. That means that the driver can put the framebuffer wherever it wants -- it doesn't even have to be mapped in memory.

If you want to poke the framebuffer directly in Windows, you have to use DirectDraw. Which went away with DirectX 8, so you're stuck with DirectX 7.

You can't access the video memory that way while under windows, or most any modern OS for that matter. The idea of a modern OS is to share resources by sharing access through a common driver.

One option would be to grab a pointer to a renderable surface then poking pixels manually into it.

What do you mean by "Operating system video game" exactly? Something that includes a Basic OS like many early games did? A game based around a fictional operating system? Something else?

Quote:
What do you mean by "Operating system video game" exactly?

Write a game, compile into just there binary's, place them on a disk, restart and boot from disk.

You'd need to use VESA or VGA for a bootable game. For VGA, video memory begins at segment A000 offset 0, and in flat addressing I believe you can set it up to be wherever you want.

If it's a game you have to be able to boot from, personally I'd recommend building it around X Windows + OpenGL + Linux. I guess you'd want to find a distro which runs from CD and boots into X (Knoppix?), strip all the stuff you don't need out of it, and modify the X startup to launch your game. That way you get the benefit of a high-level API (OpenGL), as well as (I imagine) driver support for a range of graphics cards, which means hardware acceleration.

Thanks everyone I made my game for the assignment :)

As for everything Teachers alway's teach how to do something the hard way first, then the super easy way before the test :D

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!