• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
graveyard filla

problem with Visual Studio .net 2003

This topic is 5074 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi, i've recently gotten this error when starting up my project. a window pops up when i open the workspace, and it says: "Class View information will not be available for VC projects because the solution NCB file C:\some path\FTA_Server.ncb is read-only. If your solution directory is read-only or the solution path contains UNICODE characters, other features will also be effected" this same exact thing has happend to me before with my level editor. rebooting and cleaning and rebuilind does nothing. also, i think i noticed this time why it happend. im debugging my program, and for some reason i close Visual Studio, but the program stays open (normally the program should close with Visual Studio, since VS is the one who openend the program for me (clicking Start->Debug)). i closed the program, re-opened VS, and got this message. now it wont go away like in my level editor. thanks for any help.

Advertisement
I've had similar problems to this before with Visual Studio not cleaning up properly after a crash - sometimes the pdb file (debug database) won't be closed or something, and next time you try to fire up dev studio it'll complain about not being able to open the file. Plus you can't delete it cos of the file lock, so you have to rename it instead.

So yeah, I guess try renaming it to something like "filename.bak" and then restart dev studio, see what happens. Worth a try anyway :S

You can either reboot (annoying) or get process explorer from sysinternals.

This tool will allow you to search for a handle/filename. Enter the name of the ncb and it'll show you which process has that handle opened. Kill the process (if it's explorer, your taskbar vanishes, just start another explorer.exe and it appears again).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!