• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
_Sigma

3Dsmax vs Maya 6

This topic is 5115 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have both available to me at school, so price, etc is not a concern. What is best to use for game developing?

Advertisement
Perhaps this should be in the 'Visual Arts' forum (since artists probably know more about the different modelling studio than programmers do).

Apparently, 3ds Max is (or used to be) the best studio for game developers. However, Maya and Softimage|XSI are gaining popularity throughout the industry. All 3 have their ups and downs.

its really easy to export into .3DS format and then use a conversion tool to change it into .X which makes it easy to stick into your game.

I like 3dsmax better.

</personal oppinion>

Maya probably has the nicer API to code plugins for, and has some great modeling tools. That said, MAX seems to have more tools and features that are geared toward the games industry (unlike Maya), and I really like their render and lighting system.

Our animators love Maya, but our background artists love both on different days depending on what they're doing. If you're going to be working with artists, see what they prefer, otherwise see which one you find easiest to do stuff in and stick with that.

T

They are evenly matched, so either one is great. I prefer Maya, though.

Don't forget to have a butchers on CGTalk's Maya and 3DSMax forums.

Moved to "Visual Arts". You haven't really specified whether your concerns are about the graphical side (modeling), or the programming side (exporting/importing), so I'll assume the former.

Sorry, been busy for the past few days.

I actually meant both! Sorry I didn't state that very clearly!

Cheers

Sigma

In my experience 3DSMax is better for modeling, Maya better for animation (although both are great at each). But for video games they're quite even. My personal opinion on scripting is Maya > 3DS Max, but for plugins I prefer 3DS Max.

I use 3ds Max 7 right now, and I would say for Video Games, Max is probably used more often than Maya, But if you have the chance, get both. That way you can become experienced with than one 3d modeling applications.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!