Art of Linux Programming?

Started by
16 comments, last by QzarBaron 19 years, 4 months ago
So I've spent a majority of the day today in linux trying to figure out how to compile some existing programs that I have developed in windows already. I've been programming in windows for several years now, and have been wanting to learn enough about linux to make linux builds of some of my programs such as q3 & HL mod dlls, and some other utilities. Linux development is new to me. From what I gather, most software is built using makefiles, is this correct? Does anyone know of easy ways to generate makefiles for a project? Most of my projects use external dependencies and link to outside libraries, which I don't know how to do with linux. Is there an easy to follow guide for generating the files needed to compile a project in linux? Including defining additional include directories, additional lib directories, the libs to link with, and so on? So far I'm very un-impressed with how un-user friendly linux is in the development realm but I'm hoping to work through this learning period. So does anyone have any good resources on c++ developing in linux? Cross compilation? Makefile generation? Any good c++ ide's? Thanks J
Advertisement
Have you tried KDevelop? It comes with most linux distros that include KDE.

As far as I can tell that is about as good as the IDE gets in Linux. I haven't used many of them though.

I did play with Kdevelop for a little bit. I added a folder to the additional includes and it still wouldn't find the hpp that was in that folder. Probably something I'm doing wrong but it was an old version of Kdevelop, which happened to be the newest available for the version of KDE that Debian has apparently.
KDevelop blows.

Eclipse is good (free).

Visual Slickedit ($$$ but worth it) rocks.
=========================Buildium. Codium. Fragium.http://www.aklabs.net/=========================
try using Jamfiles, they're a lot easier to make than Makefiles
Quote:Does anyone know of easy ways to generate makefiles for a project? Most of my projects use external dependencies and link to outside libraries, which I don't know how to do with linux.

Is there an easy to follow guide for generating the files needed to compile a project in linux? Including defining additional include directories, additional lib directories, the libs to link with, and so on?

man gcc,man ld
Quote:Original post by andrewk3652
Eclipse is good (free).
Yeah, get the CDT plugin for Eclipse it's great. Handles make files and stuff like that really easyily, easy to set up SDL and works great for Java aswell. : )

Also, because Eclipse is the same under windows as Linux you can use it for both platforms without any problems.
Perhaps, you could try Kylix. It's a linux version of Delphi and C Builder. In spite of these I think that coding by use of some editor and gcc is more fun.
Quote:Original post by j0seph
Perhaps, you could try Kylix. It's a linux version of Delphi and C Builder. In spite of these I think that coding by use of some editor and gcc is more fun.

On small projects, maybe.

On larger projects, it's fun like beating yourself on the head with a brick.
=========================Buildium. Codium. Fragium.http://www.aklabs.net/=========================
Most makefiles are built with autoconf, automake and libtool (GNU Software).But maybe something like SCons better fits your needs.

IDE: Emacs + "cedet" packages, I think you should avoid KDevelop, Anjuta etc. They may be ok if you start from scratch a project with them, but not if you already have the project and try to build it in Linux.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement