• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
edwardaux

Game Frameworks

This topic is 4957 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am thinking of writing a game that requires the user to select his team from a list of candidates. Each candidate has their own good/bad qualities and attributes. As a team, they embark on a quest (or objective) for which their success will depend on the suitability of the selected team. Although I am an experienced developer, I have never written a game before, so I am busily reading FAQs from this and many other sites. What (if any) frameworks are around that might support this style of game? At the moment, I haven't thought too much about the interface (yeah, yeah... I know I need to, but one thing at a time). At the moment, I am just trying to get some ideas about how I will support the underlying model. Any tips or pointers to frameworks/doco/tutorials would be much appreciated. Many thanks. -- Edwardaux

Advertisement
More information is necissary. Do you intend to program the game yourself, or are you looking for some kind of game-making software? If you are programming the game, do you have a language picked-out? Is this going to be a 3-D game?

I intend to write the game myself, but thought that it would be best to build on an existing framework (if one exists.) My game itself would be reasonably simple, so I am happy to evaluate a game-making tool. Having said that, the main reason I am doing it is to learn what is involved, so I would think that writing code would be a better way for me to do that (I personally learn better that way.)

I don't really mind what language the framework is based on... I would prefer something Object Oriented, but it isn't an absolute requirement. I currently have good skills in Java, C, C++, Smalltalk and a handful of others.

I am definitely thinking that 2D is the way to go. The graphics aren't the point of the game... completing the objective (ie. solving the puzzles is the main concern.)

If you need any more info, please ask. Thanks for your patience with such newbie questions.

--
Edwardaux

Java has a lot of standard routines for handling gui elements and graphics, so if you're pretty good with java already that might be the easiest thing to start with. If you use C/C++ then you can use DirectX (which handles graphics, sound, input, networking and such for windows only) or SDL (graphics, sound, input, it's cross-platform but on windows it's a DirectX wrapper. You can also use OpenGL surfaces with SDL for 3D graphics). And of course there are other libraries too.

Thanks for the reply. I am familiar with nearly all the technologies you mention, however, that's not quite what I am looking for.

In purely OO terms, what I am looking for is a library of base classes of things like: Character, Role, Weapon, Skill, Player, etc. It would be nice if there was something that also helped manage turn-based playing, health and time management, and maybe network play.

It seems that an RPG framework is what I am looking for ... perhaps something like:

http://www.openrpg.com/
http://www.huguesjohnson.com/tiamat.html

But I don't know what others are around, and whether they are any good or not. Thanks.

--
Edwardaux

I'm surprised that such things exist because I thought that they would be very particular to the specific game. Good luck finding what your looking for.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!