• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
fguihen

what direction is x, y and z?

This topic is 5126 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

sorry for such a stupid question, but in using 3DS max over the last few days, its left me confused over what way x,y and z co ordinates move an object. i always thought x increased from left to right, y increased from bottom of screen to top of screen, and z increased the deeper into the screen an object went. it doesnt seem to work like that in 3DS max. anyone offer an explination?

Advertisement
It is arbitrary. Many people visualize it the way you do but I don't think that there is a standard. I did an app in Opengl once set-up like you mention, and with all of the geometry created in max i had to switch the y and z coordinates and then negate one or the other (I don't remember which one). It is kind-of irritating.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!