• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Joshnathan

SDL

This topic is 5129 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I started learning SDL from cone3d.gamedev.com, but I encountered a little problem. First of all the printf() function is always used(which I thought was a c function), but that is ok cause it is not THAT hard to get. But then in tutorial nb 3 where you start learning about sprites I get this sort of stuff: printf("ERROR opening file %s\n\n", filename); and fgets(buffer, 255, fp); sscanf(buffer, "FILES: %d", &mNumframes); sscanf(buffer, "%s %d %d %d %d", name, &pause, &r, &g, &b); :( I never enctountered anything of this style during the gametutorials.com c++ tutorials. Anyone can help me out here? If I am correct these principals are basic c, but I never learned c cause I went c++ straight. It should be possible to do the same things with other commands in c++ I guess, but I just can't really figure out whaqt EXACTLY happens.

Advertisement
SDL is a liberary for C/C++
So printf (and it's variants) can be used with it.
And if you learn C++ you also learn C, you just have more options.
Any C command can be used in C++.

Let's go over the commands shall we?

===
printf("ERROR opening file %s\n\n", filename);

Let's say filename is a null terminated char array containing "A File.txt"

Then the output shall be:
"ERROR opening file A File.txt

"

===
fgets(buffer, 255, fp);
buffer is a char array, mostlikly with 255 items.
fp is a file pointer.
fgets reads 255 characters from the file pointed to by fp and puts it into buffer.

===
sscanf(buffer, "FILES: %d", &mNumframes);

sscanf scans the char array (buffer) for a particular patern.
In this case it looks if it finds the word: "FILES: " and what is put behind is read till \0 or \n, converted to a double and placed into "mNumframes"

Also valid would be this:
fscanf(fp, "FILES: %d", &mNumframes);

But I think the sscanf is used so that it can control (better) where the file pointer is at the time.

===
sscanf(buffer, "%s %d %d %d %d", name, &pause, &r, &g, &b);

This is very similar to above.
it first reads a string untill it encounters a space and puts it into name.
Then it does the same (reading untill a space is encounterd) but makes a double of it and puts it into pause.
And the same for r,g and b.

A more detailed explanation can be found in MSDN.

I hope this helps.

wow man thank you very much.
I just want to now if I could have done all that using the "cout". cause I never used print() or any of those commands stated above.

P.S. you were really helpfull, rated you up :D

One quick correction to mldaalder's post:

%d is not a double, it's an int.

%e is a double.

All the %_ values you see up there are called format strings. A google search for "C format strings" will yield much info.

Quote:
Original post by vHaB
One quick correction to mldaalder's post:

%d is not a double, it's an int.

%e is a double.

Then what's the i I've been using for my ints???

Well, I just tested this, and the i works for ints as well.
And d doesn't work for doubles like 12.01.
So your right about that.

Quote:
Original post by Joshnathan
I just want to now if I could have done all that using the "cout". cause I never used print() or any of those commands stated above.

I would think so...
But when I use Python in my projects, the printf functions only seem to work.

I dislike how cone3d's tutorials are set up. Loading numbered bitmaps into an array to do sprites is horrible. The better way would be to load in a sprite sheet and then blit through each one as needed. I'll make a tutorial about it eventually. The next one I write will be user input in SDL. After that I'll probably get into either sprites or text output, we'll see. Stay in touch though.

Quote:

Then what's the i I've been using for my ints???

that can also be used for ints, but %d is more commonly used.

also %i and %d are signed ints, where %u would be used for unsigned ints. There are more string format specifiers than you could shake a stick at.

The few I know are:
%c char
%s string
%x or %X hexadecimal, if lowercase 'x' is used a-f will be displayed. Uppercase 'X' will display A-F.
%p will display a pointer.

Also, from what I remember you can also specify field width and length. try experimenting with ints by using %#.#d, where '#' is a literal integer.

Have fun!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!