• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Arenth

Is Dev-c++ dead

This topic is 5108 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I think Dev-c++ is a greate IDE, and if it is dead, its unfortunate, as it stands their most recent release(which isnt very recent at all) is very unstable, I'd love to see a more stable release of it...

Advertisement
Well because 4.9.9.0 is amazingly unstable, and yet there doesnt seem to be anything that states intention to fix it or anything....

A friend of mine is currently using it learn C.

Consequently, I've downloaded it to help him with errors (I use VC6). Of which, I think I'm gonna get him to buy, since not only does the MinGW compiler give non-descriptive errors, its a pain to debug.

Unless of course, DevCPP allows the free Microsoft Compiler to work with it.

There still is activity on SourceForge - look at the bug tracker. They just haven't released anything since the end of July which, to my eyes, isn't unusual.

And nothing is stopping you from contributing. [wink]

Quote:
Original post by Westeria
Of which, I think I'm gonna get him to buy, since not only does the MinGW compiler give non-descriptive errors, its a pain to debug.

I hope you're not planning to have him buy VC6. That would be terminally stupid.

granted i haven't used it extensivly, the latest release has seemed pretty stable to me.

if you're truely concerned about the software, why not contact bloodshed, and find out whats going on? if they have stopped development on Dev-C++, you might be able to convince them to release the source so that it can be continued by people such as yourself.

Quote:
Original post by Rocket05
granted i haven't used it extensivly, the latest release has seemed pretty stable to me.

if you're truely concerned about the software, why not contact bloodshed, and find out whats going on? if they have stopped development on Dev-C++, you might be able to convince them to release the source so that it can be continued by people such as yourself.

It's open source (thus, it's hosted on the sf.net network).

All you need is Borland Delphi 6 (or 5, forgot which) to work on it.

Quote:
Original post by Rocket05
if they have stopped development on Dev-C++, you might be able to convince them to release the source so that it can be continued by people such as yourself.

It's already licensed under the GPL.

I use Dev-Cpp for about 1 year now and upgraded to the latest version last month. It is true that it is more unstable than the last version, but I never lost code or anything else. I just started again. I think it is a VERY goog alternative to VC6++ or anything else, because it it is FREE.
I am also able to do all my DirectX (9.0c summer) programming with it without any problems.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!