• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
rjackets

Lighting ideas?

This topic is 5129 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all. I'm making a top-down/isometric space shooter in D3D. It's looking real nice with HDR lighting and glows and junk. I'm doing the lighting using shaders and at the moment I have a basic 3-point setup (for those who don't know, that is a key light, a fill light, and a back light) -- it looks alright and doesn't slow the game down (the rate limiting step is the post-effects at the moment anyway). I'm used to using this setup when rendering models in cg programs, but I'm not sure if this is the best convention to use in a game. The camera is basically fixed so the lighting will always appear to come from the same direction. So my questions are, 1) what is the typical convention for nice in-game lighting, and 2) does anyone have any ideas on how I can make my lighting interesting since it is static? Thanks.

Advertisement
1) I'm not sure what you mean by typical convention. Depending on what I'm doing I do different things, however it usually boils down to using the three different types of lights (point, spot and directional) and lighting everything in the scene with them appropriately using the illumination model equations. In terms of how many lights to use, well, I go for as many as make it look good while keeping the framerate high.

2) Why is your lighting static? If you are having a space shooter you should have dynamic light sources for things that might emit light e.g. laser beams or explosions, which would make it more interesting. I'm also not clear on why your lighting would always come from the same direction. If your ship flies around the sun it'd light up the ship differently as it went round, because it's coming from other directions.

Those are just some random thoughts, I'm not familiar with how you're doing your thing currently so I don't know exactly what problems you're trying to overcome.

-Mezz

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!