• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
danromeo

display modes...adapter enumeration...Ok, I'm lost

This topic is 5044 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Thanks for reading this. umm...I'm completely dazed and confused after having gone over MS's documentation regarding display adapter enumeration. First the problem, followed by a few questions. Take it easy on me...I'm not a newbie but I am a hobbiest and I'm always looking for the quickest, easiest way to get things accomplished that will require the least amount of understanding on my behalf. The Problem: I've been working on this (windowed) app for quite awhile now. At first I had it set to just use whatever display mode the adapter was already set to, and it looked great. Then I moved from DX8 to DX9, and at the same time decided to structure my program more like the MS examples so that I could plug example code into my app more easily. In doing so, I plugged in the adapter enumeration code used in the MS examples...and now my app looks like CRAP. Very jagged edges. device->GetDisplayMode returns 1024x768, which should look fine...WHY DOES MY APP LOOK LIKE CRAP? Questions: 1. Isn't there some standard code for finding an optimal display mode and setting it correctly? Isnt' this something EVERY app has to do? I really don't want to force myself into understanding MS's documentation and have to do all of this myself. 2. MS's docs say that you can only set the display mode on a full screen app. Does this mean that the app would use the current display mode? 3. I thought DX9 was supposed to provide better support for adapter enumeration. Where is it? Bottom line, I really just want to get rid of these jagged edges. Any help would be appreciated, as always. Thanks a lot.

Advertisement
1. Optimal display resolution? You mean the "greatest" possible? If so, simply enumerate and take the "greatest"? (Usually you ask the user, as the "greatest" isn't always wanted.

2. You cannot set screen size while windowed, that's the point with windowed applications, that they work as a common window. However, what you are thinking of is the "buffer"... the buffer adapts to the window automatically. (and the desktop-format etc)

3. Better support dunno about that, but there is a function for it, as with all previous funktions, I believe it is called EnumDisplayerModes or something like that, however the doc might be a little cryptic at first.

Jagged edges, really dunno about that, however if you use ID3DXSprite and (accidentally) enabled mipmaps then you are very likely to get jagged edges and strange shit. (Mipmap should be 1!) Otherwise I don't know, not easy to tell from your "description".

Thanks for the help...killing mipmaps bought me a lot of performance...but it didn't solve the problem.

The display mode is also not the problem....I think it's the distance between my near and far buffers. If anybody else is having this problem, search the DX forum for "jagged".

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!