[web] Problems Connecting to MS SQL Server

Started by
5 comments, last by evolutional 19 years, 4 months ago
Hi, for some reason I have a problem connecting to my ms sql server, I have the address and password right and everything, but it always has problems connecting..no matter what program i'm using, no matter which computer i'm on and (dial up, college campus, without firewall on..). But for some reason, when making .asp pages, it connects perfectly and fine..leading me to believe i must be doing something wrong on my end.. Can someone think of something I'm doing wrong..or not doing that would get me to connect? I've tried EMS MS SQL Manager and some DinoSoft program with no luck getting it to connect..please help
Advertisement
What is the error that it gives you when trying to connect? Does it even reach the SQL server, or does it timeout? If it times out, chances are it's a firewall issue.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

It always gives errors like check the host name and username and password..or the dino program gives me a

Quote:
java.sql.SQLException: Connection refused: connect
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.TdsConnection.allocateTds(Unknown Source)
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.TdsConnection.<init>(Unknown Source)
at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver.connect(Unknown Source)
at com.dnsalias.java.sqlclient.drivers.StandardClient.openConnection(StandardClient.java:132)
at com.dnsalias.java.sqlclient.drivers.StandardClient.openConnection(StandardClient.java:119)
at com.dnsalias.java.sqlclient.DBLogin.run(DBLogin.java:482)
at com.dnsalias.java.sqlclient.util.ThreadPool.run(ThreadPool.java:43)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I don't know if that means anything or not..
The server is located at mssql.megasqlservers.com ...I can't get that to respond to pings or anything like that (i'm not sure that its suppose to..)..is that part of my problem possibly?
I tried http://www.aspenterprisemanager.com/ to connect to the MS SQL server and that didn't work either...I don't know how thats possible when all my scripts made in just regular asp can connect and modify things just fine

Any Ideas anyone?
Have your host actually given you permission to access it externally? Some web hosts will only grant access internally (or to their DMZ) meaning that all external connections are firewalled off. If this is the case, you're out of luck I'm afraid. Otherwise, check that the connection port is correct and check other configuration details with your host to make sure you don't have to do anything special.
Is this your host by any chance? If so, have you followed the instructions on the FAQ?

Edit: I can connect to it via osql, I just can't login (no username/password)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement