• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jakerrz

[java] Eclipse on OS X (Slow!!!)

This topic is 4942 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I've been browsing this Java Development forum a lot lately and noticed that just about everyone recomends Eclipse. I tried Eclipse about a month ago on my 1.33 GHz PowerBook G4 with 512 MB Ram and it was so slow I couldn't bare it. Shouldn't my powerbook be fast enough to run this program? It was slow to compile, slow to accept keystrokes when typing and worst of all, It was extremely slow when resizing any of the frames. I trashed it after about half an hour of trying to use it. I was just curious if anyone else has had a similar problem or if there is a solution. I wouldn't mind giving eclipse another try if it could run decently on my mac. In the mean time I've swithced to Borland's jBuilder 2005 Foundation. Which is also free. I actually like it a lot. jBuilder has some of the neat features that Eclipse has like code folding, Code insight (autocomplete) and correcting syntax errors on the fly. So if anyone else is having trouble getting Eclipse to work well on their Mac jBuilder is a nice alternative. By the way. Sorry if this has been addressed on the forum before. I tried searching a couple of times but kept getting an error. Jake

Advertisement
Eclipse runs smoothly on my 2.4GHz, 512MB Windows machine (not particularly slow compared to Visual Studio 2002, for example).

*subscribes to this thread* Since I was planning to buy an iBook or PowerBook, this is very interesting to hear. I'll check with some mac-using friends this week and report their findings.

Guest Anonymous Poster
More usefully, it's fine on my 1Ghz 256Mb linux laptop.

Things get a little hairy when I run two or three completely separate copies of eclipse simultaneously + mozilla and other stuff (I have to remember not to switch windows to any of the other apps otherwise linux's shitty badly written virtual-mem managmenet gets its knickers in a twist and thrases hte HD for minutes, and then will repeate later for *no apparent reason*).

But to put into perspective, it is MORE responsive to have a pair of eclipse isntances @ 100MB usage each (modulo shared mem and prior to GC) than it is to have a single copy of mozilla browsing a single webpage (mozilla is a few tens of milliseconds slow and non-smooth at scrolling etc - you notice if you're used to the snappiness of modern games :)).

Eclipse is hugely dependent on teh proprietary native code SWT system, which is probably your problem. SWT is soon to become largely an archaic waste of time for most apps, now that Sun have started the move to using OpenGL to render Swing, although without it eclipse would be noticeably less snappy on older JVM's like 1.4.2. But for now, it is both the source of nice speed ups and ALSO the source of lots of annoying platform-specific nasty bugs in eclipse :(.

I wouldn't try running eclipse without at least a 450Mhz G4. It can be pretty clunky (i.e. slow resize, keypress delays) unless you have a newr Mac/PC.

Quote:
Original post by Onemind
I wouldn't try running eclipse without at least a 450Mhz G4. It can be pretty clunky (i.e. slow resize, keypress delays) unless you have a newr Mac/PC.

Didn't he say that he owns a 1.3 GHz G4?

Guest Anonymous Poster
Eclipse is slow on OS X. I've got a 1.33 GHz Powerbook 12" with 1.25 GB RAM and it is just about bearable.

I'm using Netbeans instead since it seems to be quite snappy on OS X. I know, snappy Netbeans is such an oxymoron. This is probably due to Apple implementing Swing with all the nice hardware acceleration. Swing on OS X doesn't have a lot of the problem often associated with Swing on other platforms.

If you're going to try out Netbeans, use the daily builds (not the 4.0 Beta). These have the correct key bindings (Cmd-C instead of CTRL-C for copy, etc) and with a simple modification to the config file you can get it to use the Screen Menu Bars for a real native looking OS X experience.

Netbeans might suck on other platforms, but on OS X, it's sweet. Give it a go.

My graphics professor uses Eclipse on his PowerBook in class, and while it does noticeably run a bit slower on his machine, the speed differences aren't drastic.

I'm not sure what this is, exactly, though.

It must be an OSX thing. I run it on Windows XP 1.0GHz AMD and it runs great. Try to make sure that you are using the server VM(if you can). That might help(unless it already is).

All experience I have had with eclipse on OSX has been bad. You need alot of more processing power than on a PC to get it bearable IMO. I don't really know any fixes for this, and all the people I know who have encountered this have given up after a while. This is not to say that it cannot be run but in my experience SubEtha edit might be the way to go when developing java OSX

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by CaptainJester
It must be an OSX thing. I run it on Windows XP 1.0GHz AMD and it runs great. Try to make sure that you are using the server VM(if you can). That might help(unless it already is).

There isn't a server VM on OS X. Real shame that. It's probably a SWT thing. Good on Windows, not much else. Highly recommend Netbeans in place of Eclipse.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!