• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Machlana

Programming A Multiplayer First Person Shooter In DirectX 9.0

This topic is 5038 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
I'm not sure that's possible, considering Amazon says this publication is his first book [wink]. Hopefully it's above your standard, run-of-the-mill game programming book.

If its not 500,000 pages I dought that it will actually teach you to make a multiplayer first person shooter with directx 9.0 on your own and not following the book.

Quote:

The book uses DirectX, the most prevalent game development tool available, and helps prepare users for future game development.

I don't even need to follow the link to know its a shitty book. The title tells it all. I rarely trust books with the phrase "Programming xx in yy". It just reminds me of the hordes of shitty books that Premier Press has published. Now I know that alot of the authors are affiliated with GameDev.Net, but in all honesty the books are not that great. Most just try to throw out a buzzword or two in the title, and then spend 1/2 the pages giving a review of C programming with the Windows API.

I guess I am sort of an elitest when it comes to books. I like my books condensed, I like to work on them. I don't want a tutorial of how to make Doom 3; It will end up being incomplete and not a valuable learning tool. I want a book that will teach me the techniques needed to create Doom 4.

(Which is why I recommend Real-Time Rendering to anyone interested in graphics programming. And for the multiplayer part, I'm not so sure on books, I haven't really read any specifically for games or other realtime applications).

Quote:
Original post by The Reindeer Effect
I don't even need to follow the link to know its a shitty book. The title tells it all. I rarely trust books with the phrase "Programming xx in yy". It just reminds me of the hordes of shitty books that Premier Press has published.

Seconded.

Quote:
Now I know that alot of the authors are affiliated with GameDev.Net, but in all honesty the books are not that great. Most just try to throw out a buzzword or two in the title, and then spend 1/2 the pages giving a review of C programming with the Windows API.

I've heard that it's actually a requirement to cover the basics of C/C++ and the WinAPI in the first X chapters. Which is truly silly, IMO.

Quote:
I guess I am sort of an elitest when it comes to books. I like my books condensed, I like to work on them. I don't want a tutorial of how to make Doom 3; It will end up being incomplete and not a valuable learning tool. I want a book that will teach me the techniques needed to create Doom 4.

Again, seconded [smile]

Quote:
Original post by Coder
Quote:
Now I know that alot of the authors are affiliated with GameDev.Net, but in all honesty the books are not that great. Most just try to throw out a buzzword or two in the title, and then spend 1/2 the pages giving a review of C programming with the Windows API.

I've heard that it's actually a requirement to cover the basics of C/C++ and the WinAPI in the first X chapters. Which is truly silly, IMO.
For the record, that was a requirement imposed by André LaMothe for the first several years of the series, and many of the authors (myself included), weren't at all happy about it. Most later books don't do this.

Quote:
Original post by Myopic Rhino
Quote:
Original post by Coder
Quote:

For the record, that was a requirement imposed by André LaMothe for the first several years of the series, and many of the authors (myself included), weren't at all happy about it. Most later books don't do this.

Ah, good to know. Helps focus on useful stuff. I wish they'd stop printing in fluffy covers/pages with weird fonts, too, and just resort back to "classic" fonts and page styles. (Or have they done that already? Or is it totally optional?)

They've been using new book designs for about a year now. I think that they're greatly improved:

The interior design is much more conservative as well.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!