2000 or XP (sorry, the search won't work)

Started by
5 comments, last by xyuri 19 years, 4 months ago
I want to upgrade from Windows ME. It's been fine so far, but stuff that I'd like to get (Visual C++, Battle for Middle Earth, etc.) requires 2000 or XP. I'm sure this topic has been done to death, but for some reason the search wouldn't work on my computer, so let's keep it civil. Which one should I get? Also, I'm a budding movie maker so which one works better with movie files. I've heard bad things about NT (A.K.A 2000), but this is just a rumor.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Mikey21
I want to upgrade from Windows ME. It's been fine so far, but stuff that I'd like to get (Visual C++, Battle for Middle Earth, etc.) requires 2000 or XP. I'm sure this topic has been done to death, but for some reason the search wouldn't work on my computer, so let's keep it civil. Which one should I get?

I see no particular reason to prefer Windows 2000 over XP; they're essentially the same thing. The main difference I have noticed is that XP's more "user friendly" interface tends to hide some vital functionality where you can't find it (witness the neutered search tool or how the standard file properties will not let the admin change file ownership ...), but this can be circumvented fairly easily (annoying as it is; they seem far too willing to make things easier to beginners at the cost of frustrating more advanced users). Windows XP, in my experience, offers better compatibility with a number of legacy applications.

Quote:Also, I'm a budding movie maker so which one works better with movie files. I've heard bad things about NT (A.K.A 2000), but this is just a rumor.

Windows XP is Windows NT, version 5.1 (Windows 2000 being NT 5.0).
Xp also includes movie maker.
Quote:Michael TanczosCut that shit out. You shouldn't be spying on other people.. especially your parents. If your dad wanted to look at horses having sex with transexual eskimo midgets, that's his business and not yours.
So yeah, 5.1 > 5.0. In a straightforwad choice, go for XP, it's more mature. Nuff said :)
---PS3dev
if you're gonna go XP make sure you get Pro edition rather than Home edition (too many negative experiences with that one).
"It's better to regret something you've done than to regret something you haven't done."
XP Pro has Remote Desktop. You need Win2K *Server* or higher to get comparable functionality.

That alone is worth the difference.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Quote:Original post by Mikey21
I want to upgrade from Windows ME. It's been fine so far, but stuff that I'd like to get (Visual C++, Battle for Middle Earth, etc.) requires 2000 or XP. I'm sure this topic has been done to death, but for some reason the search wouldn't work on my computer, so let's keep it civil. Which one should I get? Also, I'm a budding movie maker so which one works better with movie files. I've heard bad things about NT (A.K.A 2000), but this is just a rumor.

They are both NT ;-) Windows 2000 is NT-5 and XP is NT-5.1

Since they are so similar I put someone on Windows 2000 a while back, but they couldnt run many of the gamees they were trying to play! As far as compatibility, thats about the just of it.

I think Windows 2000 was really just Microsoft trying to see if the NT environment could work in the home, and it did, so they made windows XP which its RAM hog and random error generator ;-)

I would go with Windows XP personally, because of some software issues, but if youre not playing games then either is just about as good as the other. XP uses a little more RAM and looks much better though, apart fromn that the functionality is very similar.

XP has more customisation and features though.

just my 2 cents. the choice is yours ;-)
__________Michael Dawson"IRC is just multiplayer notepad." - Reverend

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement