• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
FlyingDemon

Normal maps for Static meshes.

This topic is 5128 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What would be better, "easier", for a non-deforming mesh, World Space or Tangent Space normal maps. What i mean is, the mesh doesn't stretch or bend ( non-animated), it just has world-space rotations and translations.

Advertisement
Tangent space unless you don't care about the fact you'd need to uniquely texture everything.

-Mezz

Rotations will screw your world-space normal maps, unless you want to transform the normals in the pixel shader (hint: you don't).

Another possible coordinate system is object coordinates (the one you specify the vertices in). Advantage: You don't have to specify the tangent system (normal, tangent, binormal) and you don't have to transform the light vector per vertex, but only once per object. If you use a directional light, you just have to compute the light vector in object coordinates once and you can use this light vector for the shading of the whole object.

for robustivity's sake, go with tangent space, you won't regret it once you realise it works for alllllllooooot more situations that any other methods..

I second Lutz's suggestion, Object space normal mapping is very efficient and very simple to code (more than tangent space!). Only drawback is that it requires unique texture coordinates, and artists love to mirror their textures :(

Y.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!