• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Sybalos

Retail vs Debug application

This topic is 4951 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone, sorry for my bad english... I want to know what's the difference between debug and retail version of an application (i'm learning c++ with MSVC++, code graphics with opengl). Does the code change ? Why we say that the retail is faster than the debug and how could we optimize it ? thx in advance

Advertisement
Debug builds differ from release builds in several ways. One, debug information is included so that your debugger can figure out what statements the program is executing. Two, optimizations are usually disabled so that you can go through line by line and see what is happening. Three, some functions may do additional things to catch errors. For example, in MSVC, the memory allocation functions allocate additional memory in front of and behind the memory that it returns to catch buffer overruns. Also, in debug builds, memory is often preinitialized with marker data instead of left to be whatever was previously there. Some functions do nothing in release builds. For example, in MSVC everything in the crtdbg.h header will do noops in release builds.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!