Enginuity Series Opinions

Started by
11 comments, last by Madhed 19 years, 4 months ago
After reading the "Enginuity" series I would like to ask the general populous if anyone has used methods described in the series in their work. If so, was there any advantages at the expense of the complexity of the design? I'm still 'understanding' the concept of using those methods, but so far all I can see the advantage being better memory tracking. Thanks. [Edited by - Drew_Benton on May 25, 2005 9:27:41 PM]
Advertisement
Well in my personal opinion, although people rave about the enginuity series, i didnt get on with it. Might be just my ignorance though.

ace
It served me well as an eye-opener. I'm not really using the main concepts set forth, but a few of the utilities have made their way into my programs. If anything, the series (combined with Code on the Cob) helped kick-start my understanding of how 'bigger' programs were structured and allowed me to develop my own strategy to tackling the problem.
I dunno about the methods but the overall design left me awe struck. I could swear an Operating System based on that design (replacing some parts) would be awesome [smile]
wouldn't suprise me if OSs where like that, hehe

ace
Quote:Original post by nutz
I dunno about the methods but the overall design left me awe struck. I could swear an Operating System based on that design (replacing some parts) would be awesome [smile]

That would be any primitive multitasking OS ;)
Primitive, since it doesn't implement timeslicing or anything like that, each thread would run from beginning to end, over and over.
Quote: If so, was there any advantages at the expense of the complexity of the design?

Complexity? You probably meant that more sophisticated main loop; it may look like an overkill in the first place, but using normal methods (hardcoded main loop) in my previous project and "Enginuity like main loop" in actual one, I must say that's much nicer, easier and logical to use. Though there are some caveats, but please don't tell that's complex.
Hi all,

4 code parts made it into my engine actually.

- The MMObjects and MMPointer classes
- The Profiler
- The Log class
- The Singleton template

The series is really good. Keep it up
Quote:Original post by Madhed
Hi all,

4 code parts made it into my engine actually.

- The MMObjects and MMPointer classes
- The Profiler
- The Log class
- The Singleton template

The series is really good. Keep it up

Ditto.

Only some of them won't survive revision.
So... Muira Yoshimoto sliced off his head, walked 8 miles, and defeated a Mongolian horde... by beating them with his head?

Documentation? "We are writing games, we don't have to document anything".
for a second, i read that as "Massive Multiplayer Object", and "Massive Multiplayer Pointer"... i thought finnally we could #include "OMGWTFBBQRPG.h" and make our very own MMORPG [grin].
FTA, my 2D futuristic action MMORPG

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement