• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
choffstein

Voodoo Script 0.1.0 Complete Release

This topic is 5119 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have finally finished version 0.1.0 of Voodoo Script. If you would like to check it out, go to HERE Voodoo Script is an assembly-syntax like language with its own compiler and implementable virtual machine. All source is included, so feel free to hack away! Note: Everything was compiled in Dev-C++, so thats why .dev files are included. Comments? Thanks!

Advertisement
i had a quick play-around with voodoo script, looks nice, good job.

compilements:
1) the design is good, nice high-level ASM style
2) like how you've collapsed instructions into multi-op's rather
than relying on stack push/pops

complaints:
1) not enough checking and error recovery, your VM shouldn't
break if its not used right, it should continue with a warning
or something, remember the only reason we have scripting
languages is because compiled ones are too strict, we're trying
to move away from that here :)

2) more than one .cpp file darn-it! it makes my eyes bleed when
i see an entire program implemented in a single .cpp and .h pair.

3) needs a "real-language" compiler now :)

4) you need to include more example scripts, when i released
blue-vasm (the VM i used with TRIBUTE Basic) i had like 15 test
scripts that implemented whole algorithms such as heap-sort,
quadratic root finder, stuff that really tested robustness.

hope that helps
-Danu

Also it might help some people if you make the licensing clearer, both by mentioning it on the website and at the top of each source file. It is BSD/MIT like - which I approve of - so you should make this abundantly clear to anyone who may think of using it (I as I'm sure lots of people tend to skip things without clear licenses).

Thanks guys. I found some bugs here and there, so I've started working on it again and am rereleasing the version with some more test scripts, some more examples, a test-bed application for your own scripts, etcetera.

Sorry for the 1 C++ file thing...really bad habit of mine :) I have started a new project and am slowing trying to work my way out of it.

I will also put more liscencing info in the code, etc.

My one question is on your 4th comment, silvermace. What I am working on is when the voodoomachine encounters some sort of error, that it gives a debug output of the script it errored within, and shuts down that script. Is this what you would recommend?

I really appreciate the feedback. Thanks

visage

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!