• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Etnu

[web] Opinion request [Updated]

This topic is 5128 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been working on this setup for the last week or two, and I was hoping some of you kind folks could take a look at it for me. I've set up a test account here and want you guys to just post random crap (nothing offensive, please) to test it out. Most of the links aren't working, but the basic forum functionality is there. Check it out (edit: screw the www subdomain) login: gdtest password: password Just looking for some general opinions on the overall layout, usability, and any browser issues encountered. From my testing, IE6 and FireFox 1.0 both show the page perfectly (unless you shrinkt he window to be extremely narrow) at any resolution, though I wouldn't recommend it for anything less than 800x600. I'm enforcing standards mode for both browsers, though I'm not sure if that will hold true for other browsers that I haven't tested it in (Safari, Netscape, Opera, and Konquerer are the only ones I'm at all concerned about). Thanks. Updates See this post. I'm especially concerned with how the images & "buttons" at the top of each post look on different browsers. I'll get some reference screen shots up to show what it does look like, but I'm trying to see if anyone sees anything that's obviously 'wrong'. [Edited by - Etnu on December 6, 2004 12:13:07 AM]

Advertisement
It looks great in Firefox, *except* the New Post button -- I bet you meant the New Post button's background to be pure black so it would blend in ... maybe you could make its background transparent? Also, maybe you could make links in the posts stand out a bit more, color-wise? Good job!

EDIT: 404 Error in OP's post fixed :-)

[Edited by - mnansgar on November 28, 2004 10:43:30 PM]

Yeah, my host is doing something screwy and it's redirecting the www subdomain to www2, which is coming up as some other site. I've been talking to their support for the last 15 mins. to try to figure out what's up with that.

I'll go with the transparent background on the new / reply buttons, definitely.

So that's what the GDNet & Flipcode forums' children would look like! [grin]

I've tested a few things, seems to work quite well. I like the layout of the view post, it's familiar yet different at the same time - the inset reply/edit buttons look good.

The only thing that bugs me about it right now is the white flash you get whilst the page is loading. It looks like a page to say that the browser doesn't support CSS, however if it does you'll get a white flash on every page refresh.

But overall, it's looking good.

Quote:
Original post by evolutional
So that's what the GDNet & Flipcode forums' children would look like! [grin]

I've tested a few things, seems to work quite well. I like the layout of the view post, it's familiar yet different at the same time - the inset reply/edit buttons look good.

The only thing that bugs me about it right now is the white flash you get whilst the page is loading. It looks like a page to say that the browser doesn't support CSS, however if it does you'll get a white flash on every page refresh.

But overall, it's looking good.

Yeah, that's a bug with the standards-mode version of IE6. IE6 will also occasionally leave blank white area (instead of black, which is the page background) in areas at the bottom of the page.

If I run it in quirks mode, it stops doing that, but it also doesn't look correct any longer.

Basically, what it boils down to is that IE waits until the page is COMPLETELY downloaded before it starts applying the style sheet. This is entirely so that IE can give the impression of 'loading the page faster'. Considering that the largest any page is ever going to be coming from this setup is going to be < 25k (including images, unless there are images embedded in the posts), I couldn't care less if the browser waits until the page is fully downloaded to draw. The effect doesn't show up on fast connections (since the page downloads in < 1 second), but on dial up it's pretty bad.

I'm going to try to play around with the page generation (right now it spits out each line of HTML as it's generated by the script), but I'm fairly certain that a page doesn't actually get served until the script completes anyway, so I don't think it'll have any difference.

FireFox's standards mode displays it perfectly (as usual...).

Quote:
Original post by Etnu
FireFox's standards mode displays it perfectly (as usual...)

Ain't that the truth [rolleyes]

I'm glad I use FF at home (browsing at work right now).

Ok, I fixed the flash thanks to this little trick:

http://www.bluerobot.com/web/css/fouc.asp

Perfect. And thanks for the link, I think I'll jam it in the FAQ as that'll be useful to quite a few others.

What's next on the site development front?

Quote:
Original post by evolutional
Perfect. And thanks for the link, I think I'll jam it in the FAQ as that'll be useful to quite a few others.

What's next on the site development front?

Well, next I have to do:

1.) An administrator page
2.) A member preferences / profile page

After that, the forums will be more or less done. I'll probably add stuff like polls and whatnot later.

There are a few things that you have to do manually (as in in the database) now because I don't have an admin CP:

- Can't add new forums.
- Can't make sticky posts
- Can't ban members
- Can't change forum permissions

I'd also like to make a few skins for the forums that are radically different from the current one. I'll try to have the second skin up next week so people can take a look at it. That's kind of the whole point in making this thing as table free as possible (notice how the only things that use tables are the forum listing and the thread listing? I'm fairly certain I can eliminate it from the forum listing, too). Once you kill the tables, you're free to lay the site out however you want. I'm extremly happy with the way the main forum listing is setup in this respect. If a member wants their edit / quote / whatever buttons to be at the left and their images on the right, they can do it. If they want to use a more traditional forum layout where the user info is all on the left and the post on the right, they can do it. There's no limit to the control you can have here.

Once the forums are done, the next section of the site that'll be going up is the home page. That's probably a month's work in and of itself.

Quote:
Original post by Etnu
That's kind of the whole point in making this thing as table free as possible (notice how the only things that use tables are the forum listing and the thread listing? I'm fairly certain I can eliminate it from the forum listing, too). Once you kill the tables, you're free to lay the site out however you want.

I noticed that you're shying away from tables - that's a good thing IMHO. One thing I'm doing too is trying to make things as CSS-based as possible, for exactly the same reasons you are. Once you eliminate things like tables, the page content and design become two separate streams that can both be changed without breaking the other (in theory). When you use a table-based layout, you need to redesign your site from scratch if you need a new layout - CSS completely eliminates that problem and adds a great amount of configuration in the process.

I look forward to seeing how this progresses.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!