Help with selecting polygons and using the mouse in 3d

Started by
8 comments, last by DMINATOR 19 years, 4 months ago
I'm trying to get something simple up and running just to learn how to work with the mouse in 3d. In 2d its no problem but I cant figure out how to use it in 3d. What Im doing is, I made a grid that extends out down the z axis. I want to highlight the square the mouse is over when you move the mouse. You can also move your view point and move in all 8 directions. Its in opengl, I've looked at the selection and picking functions but they dont seem too useful for this, unless I give a name to every polygon on the grid and that doesnt seem to be a good idea. So Im trying windows now. Any advice or help with how to deal with the 3d aspect?
Advertisement
Are you looking for something like this?

http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/articles/article.asp?article=13
Thanks thats perfect, I guess I'll have to use glu now. If someone has any other ways Id like to hear those too.
I assume ur using DirectX then, ummm, look at the SDK Pick example, if that doesn't help, look at the functions,

D3DXIntersect();
D3DXIntersectSubset();

These are how its done,

and google is pretty useful as well.

ace
Im using opengl. For some reason the nehe article isnt giving me what I want. The z coordinate is always -999 and doesnt change, the x and y sometimes jump to 0 for no reason I can find. I'll play around with it more and see what I can do.
I'd actually suggest THIS nehe tutorial:

http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/lessons/lesson.asp?lesson=32.

It covers picking polygons with the mouse (see the function "void Selection( void )"). Note that instead of returning a 3d coordinate, it returns the index number of the polygon you clicked, which IMHO is easier to use.
I use both, but the ray picking is faster if you need the ploy in front, but I am doing tile games. So sometimes I need the ploy farthest away then I use object selection. for object selection I like this tutorial

http://www.gametutorials.com/Tutorials/opengl/OpenGL_Pg3.htm
Object selection
I'm doing it in software. Creating a ray from the mouse coordinate, and then intersecting it with objects/triangles. It's not working 100% yet, but enough to be useable. If you're interested I could post a snippet later.
I got the code from article 13 to work, I forgot to turn on depth testing...Doh! But i think I'm going to convert somehow or way to code that functions more like picking because it will let me select the polygon better. I eventually want to be able to manipulate the grid, moving the vertices and etc. Thanks all for the help!

I got this fully functional code for selecting does a ray intersect a triangle, I searched hard to get it work right :)

// Compiled With MSVC++6.0// REQUIRED FOR PICKING#define EPSILON 0.000001#define CROSS(dest,v1,v2)           dest.x = v1.y  *  v2.z  -v1.z *  v2.y;           dest.y = v1.z  *  v2.x  -v1.x *  v2.z;           dest.z = v1.x  *  v2.y  -v1.y *  v2.x;#define DOT(v1,v2) (v1.x * v2.x + v1.y * v2.y + v1.z * v2.z)#define SUB(dest,v1,v2)           dest.x=v1.x-v2.x;           dest.y=v1.y-v2.y;           dest.z=v1.z-v2.z; /* code rewritten to do tests on the sign of the determinant *//* the division is at the end in the code                    */bool intersect_triangle1(VERTEX orig,VERTEX dir,VERTEX vert0,VERTEX vert1, VERTEX vert2){   double t,u,v;   VERTEX edge1, edge2, tvec, pvec, qvec;   double det,inv_det;   /* find vectors for two edges sharing vert0 */   SUB(edge1, vert1, vert0);   SUB(edge2, vert2, vert0);   /* begin calculating determinant - also used to calculate U parameter */   CROSS(pvec, dir, edge2);   /* if determinant is near zero, ray lies in plane of triangle */   det = DOT(edge1, pvec);   if (det > EPSILON)   {      /* calculate distance from vert0 to ray origin */      SUB(tvec, orig, vert0);            /* calculate U parameter and test bounds */      u = DOT(tvec, pvec);      if (u < 0.0 || u > det) return false;            /* prepare to test V parameter */      CROSS(qvec, tvec, edge1);            /* calculate V parameter and test bounds */      v = DOT(dir, qvec);      if (v < 0.0 || u + v > det) return false;         }   else if(det < -EPSILON)   {      /* calculate distance from vert0 to ray origin */      SUB(tvec, orig, vert0);            /* calculate U parameter and test bounds */      u = DOT(tvec, pvec);      if (u > 0.0 || u < det) return false;            /* prepare to test V parameter */      CROSS(qvec, tvec, edge1);            /* calculate V parameter and test bounds */      v = DOT(dir, qvec) ;      if (v > 0.0 || u + v < det) return false;   }   else return false;  /* ray is parallell to the plane of the triangle */   inv_det = 1.0 / det;   /* calculate t, ray intersects triangle */   t = DOT(edge2, qvec) * inv_det;   (u) *= inv_det;   (v) *= inv_det;   return true;}

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement