confused isnt the word

Started by
2 comments, last by Kelly G 19 years, 4 months ago
im just about done wrappin up the book beginning C++ game programing im new at this stuff and this is the first book i read and i just do not understand how i can take this information and throw it together to create a game..how does all this allow me to throw in sound graphics and all the fun stuff liek that? Is ther any other books recommened i should purchase? im lost here and im lookin for some real guidance..
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by sockman2k1
im just about done wrappin up the book beginning C++ game programing im new at this stuff and this is the first book i read and i just do not understand how i can take this information and throw it together to create a game.
Well, start with tetris. You already know the rules, here's the steps.

1 .Draw a square on the screen
2. Move the square with arrow keys.
3. Make the square fall until it his the ground
4. And generate a new square?
5. Make it so you can Stack the square.
6. Make a single square into a tetris shape.
7. Make it so you can rotate the tetris shape.
8. Limit the X direction of the squares.
9. Implement erasing lines after you get all of them in a row.
10. Call it something different than tetris so you don't get sued. (Falling Blocks is a popular name)

Bam! A whole game.
I dont' mean to sound negative but it will take lots of writes and re-writes to knock up even tetris. I would suggest (assuming ur really new to all this) that u start off by writing some complicated c++ programs in a simple console window, at least until u know c++ a bit better.

I'm only saying this from a more experienced point-of-view. I jumped straight into the deep end, and trust me you'll meet so many WHAT-THE-HELL-DOES-THAT-MEANs when looking at examples.

Although my approach was certainly interesting, there have been alot of rewrites. Not a bad method of learning but there are easier paths.

Concisely, all im saying, is, dont rush into it. :)

ace
Your book probably made reference to such standard libraries as iostream and cstdlib and such. There are also #include libraries for windows, graphics, sound and so on. These are often difficult to use without a good understanding of C++, or at least C. Go to the "For Beginners" section of this page for more information.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement