I want to recreate SHINOBI 3 .

Started by
13 comments, last by cpp_boy 19 years, 4 months ago
This is my favourite game ever, so I WANT to recreate it. Do I have the right to recreate the game? If yes, what can I do with it after I recreate it? Can I somehow contact sega and get some agreement from them ? [Edited by - cpp_boy on November 29, 2004 3:35:58 AM]
Advertisement
Officially, the answer is always no. In reality, seeing as the game is from a long time ago, and you're not planning to sell it commercially (or so I assume), nobody will care. The most important thing is trademarks. If you infringe on any current trademarks while recreating this game, and you draw the attention of the holder of the trademark to it, they have no choise but to request you remove/modify the item in question, or they can loose the trademark entirely. I don't imagine that they can trademark the word "Shinobi" though, so you should be ok. Plain old breach of copyright is less of an issue, as they actually have the option of ignoring it if they don't care.

Anyway, yeah. Don't contact Sega. They can only tell you no.
Why not just recreate the system instead of the characters. Make the game similar but not the same, that way you have something original and something that you would enjoy.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Looking for video game music? Check out some of my samples at http://www.youtube.c...ser/cminortunes            

I'm currently looking to create music for a project, if you are interested e-mail me at cminortunes@gmail.com    

Please only message me for hobby projects, I am not looking to create music for anything serious.
yup, copying isnt legal, but if you use the same system and give it another name, its legal (but i suggest changes here and there)
The problem is that the trademark "shinobi" is still in use. Two years ago there was a ps2 version of shinobi. And I dont want to make the game with other name than "shinobi". I will also put "sega" trademark into the game. Maybe even mighty sega will be interested to purchase it from me :-)
Quote:Original post by SumDude
Why not just recreate the system instead of the characters. Make the game similar but not the same, that way you have something original and something that you would enjoy.

I agree. If you make a game that follows the essence and style of the game you're remaking then you won't get in any legal hot-water. If you attempt to copy a game exactly, you may also find yourself frustrated if you can't get it spot-on - so it makes sense to make your same 'in the style of' and add/remove features to make the game your own creation.

I'm a big fan of 'remake' games - not ones that are a like-for-like copy of a game, but one that takes the essence of the game and brings it up to date with new features, graphics and/or extras. I'm trying to do that with an old game called 'Uridium' - I'm making a similar game, but adding things of my own to make it original and truly my own creation.

Whichever path you take, don't end up in hot water and enjoy the journey :)
So what can be "legally borowed" out of the original game:
music tracks, name of the game, levels(the same but in 3d), characters(the same but in 3d)...................
technically from a guess i'd say none of those. Find a simple composer on the forums. Theres ppl that post their work a lot on the forums.

As for levels, prolly by making it 3D it will be different but you should add a few things here and there to make it a bit different.

name of the game i dunno. Come up with something else, not WAY too hard and it will keep you from worrying.

As for characters, i guess you can have a few with the same name as long as they're not ALL the same name.

In conclusion, just copy the system and think of new names, level addons, and the such. This way you don't really gotta worry and you can actually claim it all as yours.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Looking for video game music? Check out some of my samples at http://www.youtube.c...ser/cminortunes            

I'm currently looking to create music for a project, if you are interested e-mail me at cminortunes@gmail.com    

Please only message me for hobby projects, I am not looking to create music for anything serious.
Quote:Original post by SumDude
technically from a guess i'd say none of those. Find a simple composer on the forums. Theres ppl that post their work a lot on the forums.

As for levels, prolly by making it 3D it will be different but you should add a few things here and there to make it a bit different.

name of the game i dunno. Come up with something else, not WAY too hard and it will keep you from worrying.

As for characters, i guess you can have a few with the same name as long as they're not ALL the same name.

In conclusion, just copy the system and think of new names, level addons, and the such. This way you don't really gotta worry and you can actually claim it all as yours.

One of my main concerns is sound tracks. They are so perfect (if you ever played the game, then you know what I'm talking about), I prefer not to change them at all.
Well, thing is if you attract attention you MUST change it and get rid of those. If you avoid using them you don't have to deal with it at all.

Not really saying this to bug you just telling you what will prolly happen. It happened to Graal a while back when they were known as Zelda Online or whatever. They had to change the game because it was gaining popularity and Nintendo didn't like it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement