sound format used in modern games ?

Started by
12 comments, last by juanpaco 19 years, 4 months ago
Hello. I want to know, what are the sound format (tracks, voices...) used in modern games (HL2, DOOM3, games on ps2 ...)
Advertisement
I know that the songs used in Doom 3 are .ogg. Any of them can be used. midi, mp3, wav, ogg, any formats can be used. Half Life 2 i'm guessing with music used mp3. Usually sound effects are wav's from what i've seen.

Games on ps2, i don't know. I'd think they would support mp3's since you can play them on there.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Looking for video game music? Check out some of my samples at http://www.youtube.c...ser/cminortunes            

I'm currently looking to create music for a project, if you are interested e-mail me at cminortunes@gmail.com    

Please only message me for hobby projects, I am not looking to create music for anything serious.
Quote:Original post by SumDude
I know that the songs used in Doom 3 are .ogg. Any of them can be used. midi, mp3, wav, ogg, any formats can be used. Half Life 2 i'm guessing with music used mp3. Usually sound effects are wav's from what i've seen.

Games on ps2, i don't know. I'd think they would support mp3's since you can play them on there.

But using mp3 is system's bottleneck (maybe I'm wrong)
systems?
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Looking for video game music? Check out some of my samples at http://www.youtube.c...ser/cminortunes            

I'm currently looking to create music for a project, if you are interested e-mail me at cminortunes@gmail.com    

Please only message me for hobby projects, I am not looking to create music for anything serious.
Quote:Original post by cpp_boy
But using mp3 is system's bottleneck (maybe I'm wrong)

Not unless you are using a 486!! The overhed of most MP3 like player is small. Personally I'd go with OGG as you don't have to pay a huge licence fee to use it, it has better quality than MP3 (try and record a classical guitar with MP3 and you spot straight away how crap MP3 really is). Also as said above OGG is used by loads of commercial games, Doom 3, Operation Flashpoint, Unreal 2 (AFAIK - not sure) etc.
mp3 doesn't require license fee unless you making software that encodes mp3's (at least thats what i heard)

I want the files to be played 99% by sound card, without cpu help. Maybe I can store the tracks as some compressed format, and in the beginning of each level convert the tracks to uncompressed format (I dont know, some "just stream" format).
why?

Native support on PS2 is ADPCM for both the sounds in memory and streaming from disk. Some games use MP3 or OGG (for music, dialogue and sometimes ambiences) but this requires a hit on the emotion engine.
Quote:Original post by SumDude
why?

efficiency

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement