• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
UnshavenBastard

[.net] Unique number linked to a PC - other than mac address

This topic is 5043 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello. When I need a number of some system component which is unique (for this kind of component, of course), I could use the mac address of the network adapter. But when this is not possible because the thing is disabled or not present, are there other UNIQUE numbers (liker serial numbers or something) that are somehow obtainable through some API call ? What would this be, and how would I obtain it? (it's for licensing stuff, in case you're curious) thanks, unshaven

Advertisement
Check out this site

Almost any device has its own ID (or unique data), for instance CPU, HDD, FDD, DVD-Drive, CDROM-Drive, DVD/CD-Media, Software (like Windows), CMOS-data.

Getting those numbers is different, sometimes difficult and in some cases impossible. Check what the OS supports, maybe invent your own solution.

A dongle may also have its own serial.

Always protect the code that checks for the number, also have it multiple times in different places. A good solution would be to let the compiler automatically generate (maybe inline) calls to the check function. Maybe you can even make the number an integral part of your program.

S.M.A.R.T. data of a harddisk changes slowly over time while performance degrades. Maybe you can use that data because its structure is unique for a single disk.

PCI devices have an identification number. Maybe you can use this. Or you use the order in which those cards are placed in your computer. (Hope you never need to change it ;-)

The chipset may also serve as identification for a computer.

Okay, that's good for now.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!