Use torrent files to legally distribute your game demos!

Started by
5 comments, last by Maega 19 years, 4 months ago
I have just set up torrent submission for developers and would like you to believe bittorent network would be an excellent way to help distribute your software legally and save on bandwidth charges for large downloads. http://www.free-downloads.net/torrents.php You may be very sceptical about this idea as they believe it is a way of showing people who do not know what bittorent is to illegaly obtain their full versions by teaching them to use torrent files. I disagree, i see it as an alternative source to distribute their software. One thought was to ask people to seed their shareware which in turn would save bandwidth and money, in return the developers could give away a full version of their software to the best seeders in exchange fo their help. Does anyone here have any comments regarding this, or have any good ideas to show people shareware is not just about illegal sharing. Please let me know your thoughts regarding this.
Advertisement
Would be a good idea if the games were small sized and free. If it were a large game it would take too much time to get and probably wouldn't be worth the time to sit and download.

The problem i see with BT is that if you wanted to sell a product you couldn't do it because people would pass around the torrent file and they would never get much money. If there was a way to control the torrent files and whos seeding them and to whom they are giving the files to it could work.

Bit Torrent can be used for good but it is usually used for the bad.

Edit: Sorry didn't look at the demos part of the topic lol. For Demos it would be good if they werent too large. If it were too large it would possibly push possible customers away because it might take too long. You would also have to have constant seeders willing to donate their bandwidth which could be a problem.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Looking for video game music? Check out some of my samples at http://www.youtube.c...ser/cminortunes            

I'm currently looking to create music for a project, if you are interested e-mail me at cminortunes@gmail.com    

Please only message me for hobby projects, I am not looking to create music for anything serious.
The whole point of bittorrent is that it's FASTER than a normal donwload. The "constant seeders willing to donate their bandwidth" will be your company server. If only a limited number of people download, they get the full speed from these seeds anyway, if more than the server can handle, they also share the data between themselves, making the overall speed faster.
This is a good idea and has already been used to distribute commercial software, most notably by Blizzard.
If they have a company server then they are going to be spending money anyways for the server... So why not host an ftp file?

Most BT dl's for me have been slow so i don't really know if it would be faster or slower, but if its going fast, good.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Looking for video game music? Check out some of my samples at http://www.youtube.c...ser/cminortunes            

I'm currently looking to create music for a project, if you are interested e-mail me at cminortunes@gmail.com    

Please only message me for hobby projects, I am not looking to create music for anything serious.
Because with BT, more people can download the file at a faster speed than on the ftp. If the main servers bandwidth is more than the combined bandwidth of all users, they will still get the maximum speed, but with more users bittorrent will be faster than ftp.

The speed of bittorrent download depends heavily on the bandwidth of sharers/seeders, you may just have stumbled on the wrong ones. Videos linked from slashdot main page are a good example - no "slashdotting", instead a stable 200KB/s download.
I've seen torrent files with passkeys that are generated at download time from the site. If someone tries to use the torrent and doesn't have the right passkey, it doesn't work. It just fails and tells people to login to the site and download the torrent again.

Perhaps something like this could be implemented more often.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement