Industrial 3d scene please crit

Started by
13 comments, last by frostburn 19 years, 4 months ago
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/Garetth/7f1508b2.jpg Sorry, I don't know the image code for this forum, so please just copy and paste the url :) I've been working on this for a while and I like where it's going. No texturing done so far and I've actually added a lot to it since this render. I'll post another render soon. Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
just use html for images...

the modelling looks pretty good, but the scene still lacks composition... right now it´s more a bunch of objects floating around.
What are your plans for this? do you have any sketches or are you just modelling along?

I'm pretty much just modeling what's in my head since I can't draw at all.

Basically I'm putting together a garage/hangar scene. Not sure yet, but the centerpiece will either be a hummer or a mech type vehicle.

Update to current progress. a few more details are around, but I'll post those after sleep.
They all look perfect to me except the fact that the
walls, floors and ceiling could bear some texture maybe.
Now they are very flat.
Or maybe you will use textures later, in this case the whole looks good.

Signature:http://www.easternraider.comhttp://www.easternraider.com/gallery
Thanks! Yes, textures will be coming later.
The modeling looks great and realistic. Dont worry about textures just yet.

One thing that I noticed is that its too 'clean'. I mean. This is a garage, right? Give it a garage feel to it. Put some boxes rotated so they arent paralell to the walls, and pull them a little bit away from the wall.. make some piles of generic stuff (tools, newspapers, chains, etc).. Put some dents or general wear and tear on some of the lockers and things. make that tool chest so it has a drawer that doesnt look like its been closed in a long time. Some rags laying around woudlnt hurt, either.

When you get on to using textures, use gritty textures. put oil spots in or something.

Right now, your room doesnt look too realistic. like most of te stuff is up against the walls. Even if you put a mech in the middle, it will still just look like a big empty room with a mech in it. Imagine if you personally walked into a hanger like that. You woudlnt be too impressed. there isnt alot of character. You would also probably be thinking "Why is everything on those two walls?".

Populate the scene with traces of life. Make it look like humans have been in there before and worked in there.
Im losing the popularity contest. $rating --;
I think a lot of grunge can be done with material maps (textures), but things also need to be off-kilter. Ceiling tiles need to hang down. A bench needs to be turned out from the wall by 8 degrees. Dangling bare light bulbs should provide the illumination.

And definitely put in that mech in the middle! (With a pool of oil beneath it, perhaps?)
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Thanks for the great ideas! I hope I can get to work on it soon.
u might wonna check out Rhino3D, its a CAD program, with which u can make the same scene in about 20 minutes
Cartman's definition of sexual harrasement:"When you are trying to have intercourse with a lady friend, and some other guy comes up and tickles your balls from behind"(watch South Park, it rocks)
I thought Rhino was just a nurbs program

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement