• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Abbid

Making a game.

This topic is 5130 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys. My first of hopefully many posts. Anyway, i just wanted to let you all know that i am making a game for my final year project and university. i have learnt programming since the start on the course so i know quite a bit about coding etc. also, i have made little games by following books (ie tic tac toe) so i think i have a decent amount of knowledge to make a game. the game that i want to make will be a 3D FPS. i want it t be in the style on counter strike but NOT online ie - person in a battle field and has to fulfill objective eg kill all opponents, capture the flag. The player will have to compete against AI opponents. Now, i am going to code this in C++ using OpenGL as the API. i am also learning how to use Gmax to do the levels and character models. However, i just wanted to know one thing. If i make a model of a character in Gmax, will it let me use it in my program, and if so, how would i do it??? thanks in advance.

Advertisement
With respect a 3D FPS may be a bit ambitious as a final year project! If you think it takes about 20 people 2 years to make a game it would take 1 person 40 years :)

If you don't have a clue on how your going to import models into a program you should probably look to do a simpler game.

An online game might actually be faster to develop since no AI would be involved. I'm sure your teacher would be equally impressed if you just made a simple engine.

A game like Counter Strike is a VERY big project. I think one programmer did program it but they were programming off of the Half Life SDK which meant a lot of code was already provided.

yeh, i thought of all that already and i understand that it will be almost impossible, but for me to pick up the marks it has to be pretty amazing.

now, i know CS is huge, all i want to create in on level, not even that big, where the player has to kill just one AI opponent.

however, if u guys think that i am in way over my headm then can u lot suggest a type of game that will give me the marks i want but not as difficult???

Well I think it would be a hard work to make it done in time, there are alot of things needed to be coded - game engine which uses audio, 3d animated models , particle engine, collision detection , lightning and texturing, message processing, and other thing. Even if you make a good engine with good features, you still need to get a textures and models for a game.The whole project would take a long time :).Well if you make it work in a fixed amount of time, I would be greatly imressed.

My suggestion is simple make an arcade style game in OpenGL or any other api, it would be a simple one to make . But if you make work, then you have a good base for future projects, you can use this engine , modify someway, and make a better game next time.

Just making a simple mario or tetris might get you marks. Mario still might be a bit hard but it's a lot more realistic than Counter Strike.

Even making one level for a clone of Counter Strike would take a long time to make. If it were easy there would be a lot of Counter Strike clones out there.

i taked to my teacher about making a simpler game. he said that t get the marks it must be in 3D, 2D is not just good enough, and it has to have a decent amount of coding to show that i know what im doing.

however, he has also said that all the exra stuff like, audio, animation, textures etc are there to make the game look nice and that is not what i will be marked on, i will be marked on the gmaeply type issues, such as collision dectection etc etc.

he said that even if i had a room with just four walls, with 2 cubes in it (one the player, the other the opponent) and i showed that you could play it (ie shoot the opponent etc) and if it all worked perfectly then that would excellent.

therefore the work load described earlier should be a bit less now.

ok, i dont know how to link models to my code, all i had as my level were the room and a cube as the player. i could have easily coded it in OGL but i hae to do it this way through a modelling software because i have to use real world techniques.

i was told that its only 2-3 lines of code to link a model to code.
if someone would be kind enough to post em i would be grateful.

also, any feed back on what im doing, advice, or just general comments are always welcome. if you think im crazy for trying something so big them please tell me.

you all have more experience then me so let me know what you think.

You can just make the character do a walk animation when you press say, W or S (up or down), and strafe animation if you press A or D (left or right).

When no directional keys are being pressed, put them back (doesn't have to be smoothly) to a standing animation.

You only have to show your characters hand(s) and the weapon. You don't have to make any fancy reload aniamtions, just have them lower the weapon off the screen, make a reload sound, and raise it back. That's how things used to be done.

You don't have to make different parts of the body take different damage, you can make the head take as much damage as the foot, your teacher shouldn't care much.

Look on gametutorials.com for using animations and such in games, but you can also ask around on #gamedev on irc.afternet.org (not at this exact time, most are asleep) where to find out how to do it.

Then you'll have to conquer at least simple collision detection, there's tutorials on this as well.

You don't have to show the body of the character if you look down, not a whole lot of games do this currently anyway, and it's just another thing you'd have to get down pat, so it's not worth the effort. Just a shadowy blob is all that's needed.

Good luck with that, I'm sure you can figure out at least what should do what on your own.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!