Warcraft 3 mixed with Morrowind and Microsoft Speech?

Started by
12 comments, last by CyberSlag5k 19 years, 4 months ago
Is it possible to make a third person/first person (morrowind style) rts (warcraft 3)? For example, you control a "leader" like character. Your in a 3d third or first person view, and your wearing a headset (in real life) and you say "archer group 1, fire enemy group 2" and your archers will march and fire. Is this at all possible, and if so how hard is it, and how do you get started with it?
Advertisement
This is a humongous objective. You'd probably need a team of dozens (or more) to get it done in a reasonable time frame of say, a few years. You'd also have to be willing to drop a ton of time into research beforehand, since despite the hype, voice recognition technology mostly still sucks. But that doesn't mean it's not a good idea. Just a difficult to implement one. Try programming a control system that JUST sends units to where you click, and you'll get an idea what I'm saying. The primary obstacles I see beyond the voice recognition stuff are naming and context problems. If it ever works, I want to play it.
Well, there are several games that have a gameplay like that, altough commanding your teammates / underlings is done using keyboard shortcuts.

In all of these games, the npc's need a certain amount of intelligence on their own to make it playable, since you'll be quite slow giving out orders and getting an overview of the battlefield.

However, adding speech input seems like a good idea, and is quite likely doable, but there are a few problems to consider:
* The more complex speech commands get, the less reliable they get
* It's a localisation nightmare
* Only appealing to advanced players, since using speech commands needs a lot of training

Now, how "hard" would it be to pull it off?
Nobody has done it yet, but I'm sure lot's had that idea before. That's a pointer in the "hard" direction. ;)

I would get started by creating a prototype with some basic gameplay features (like sending troops from A to B) and then trying out how well speech commands work with that.
If it's good, continue adding features, complete the game and have it published.
I'll be sure to let everyone know when it's done, lol, but I have a problem. I have no-where to host a website for a game, and all of my money is going into the game, not the website. Does anyone know of any good free webhosting programs with no-ads?
Quote:Original post by darkschool
I'll be sure to let everyone know when it's done, lol, but I have a problem. I have no-where to host a website for a game, and all of my money is going into the game, not the website. Does anyone know of any good free webhosting programs with no-ads?

If you plan to open source it, use
http://www.sourceforge.net

If not, why bother having a website at that early stage?
Well, I want to release it as a commercial game possibly. It is going to be based off an engine of mine, so could I use sourceforge to put my open-source engine online, and have another website for the commercial game? I am actually thinking of making this game open-source, as a portfolio object...
you're waaay ahead of yourself..
-LuctusIn the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move - Douglas Adams
why do you say that? you don't know if i've even made games before. for all you know, i could be the lead programmer for Halo 2! of course im not, but I have made games before
The problem is that people mumble, and having the computer interpret what you're trying to do could be disasterous. Most real people still have to say "huh?" from time to time.

"Unit 7, proceed to bloated mounatin" And what does Unit 7 do? Starts bathing in the gilded fountains! How annoying!

If you could get around that though, it'd still be really hard. You'd have to design a parsing system for the player to learn, unless you intend to teach the computer English. (Maybe Spanish, I hear English is hard to learn [wink]).

I don't know how natural you could make it. If you managed to solve all the problems though, a mixture of voice and mouse commands could be pretty cool.
[size=2]Darwinbots - [size=2]Artificial life simulation
I didn't mean way ahead of yourself as in trying to make a game, I was referring to you trying to find a host/putting money into a project/trying to go commercial before doing proper research on topics like voice recognition(from the way your first post came out), doing prototyping(I guess you could have, but then I doubt you would have had to ask in the first place) completely on your own(I'm just guessing this part).

If you want my advice, do some prototyping, start an OS-project which might attract like-minded and give valuable feedback. Finally, having an OS-project doesn't prevent you from going commercial, you can still charge for game content while at the same time having a free open source engine (this technique is utilized by for example Nevrax who made the NeL engine which drives The Saga of Ryzom)

//edit: sorry for any blatant spelling/grammar errors or incoherant ramblings. My day/night cycle has been completely disrupted and my writing tends to get terrible when tired
-LuctusIn the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move - Douglas Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement