Warcraft 3 mixed with Morrowind and Microsoft Speech?

Started by
12 comments, last by CyberSlag5k 19 years, 4 months ago
at the start of the game you could have a "Voice Command Customizer / Setup" program that prompts the user to say each of the available voice commands, then you associate their verbal response to that command...

then as long as they're not sick when they play the game(and their voice is all screwed up), their voice would sound the same and it would be more easily detected in the game??

maybe?

i remember a similar technology used for that damn Parrot you could install and talk to on the computer, you'd setup the commands to your voice, then it would work...and that was atleast 4 years ago?

you could even take it further and (say the game was for xbox and know how in halo/halo 2 you can make profiles?) players could make new profiles for their friends and associate their own voices to the commands per the profile
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Numsgil
The problem is that people mumble, and having the computer interpret what you're trying to do could be disasterous. Most real people still have to say "huh?" from time to time.

"Unit 7, proceed to bloated mounatin" And what does Unit 7 do? Starts bathing in the gilded fountains! How annoying!

If you could get around that though, it'd still be really hard. You'd have to design a parsing system for the player to learn, unless you intend to teach the computer English. (Maybe Spanish, I hear English is hard to learn [wink]).

I don't know how natural you could make it. If you managed to solve all the problems though, a mixture of voice and mouse commands could be pretty cool.

If you could get around the speech interpreter problems, I don't think the syntax would be that difficult to do. "Group A attack enemy D" "Group B move G7" "Group C guard C4" "Group D fireball enemy A" "Group E patrol A4 B7". That isn't too much for the player to learn and is pretty encompassing of the standard commands for an RTS.
Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.
My question is: Who would really want to use voice to control a game? All the pro players would rather be clicking their way through 500 actions per second, while most moderate players would have a hard time remebering all the commands (if it takes the keyboard twice over{modifier keys} to control things, what makes you think there are only going to be 10 void commands?)
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Quote:Original post by Extrarius
My question is: Who would really want to use voice to control a game? All the pro players would rather be clicking their way through 500 actions per second, while most moderate players would have a hard time remebering all the commands (if it takes the keyboard twice over{modifier keys} to control things, what makes you think there are only going to be 10 void commands?)

I think the point was so you could control a general type character in first or third person view and fight along your troops while issuing them orders.
Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement