[C++/Win32 API] Problem with MessageBox

Started by
3 comments, last by Eriond 19 years, 4 months ago
I made a small class for exceptions in my program, but when I try to show the error with a MessageBox, the text just consists of like 50 Ý's. The text is just printed to the file so I could see if the string was right and it was.
class DXError
{
public:
	DXError(const std::string& errorMessage, const std::string& fileName, 
			const std::string& function, int line) 
		: mErrorMessage(errorMessage), mFileName(fileName), mFunction(function),
		  mLine(line) {}

const char* ToString() const
	{
		std::string error;
		error += "In file: " + mFileName + "\r\n";
		error += "In function: " + mFunction + "\r\n";
		error += "On line: " + boost::lexical_cast<std::string>(mLine) + "\r\n";
		error += "\r\n" + mErrorMessage;

std::ofstream file("output.txt");
		file << error;
		return error.c_str();
	}

private:
	std::string mErrorMessage;
	std::string mFileName;
	std::string mFunction;
	int mLine;
};

#define DX_ERROR(errorMessage) DXError(errorMessage, __FILE__, __FUNCTION__, __LINE__)

// later, catching the exception
catch(const DXError& e)
{
	MessageBox(0, e.ToString(), "Error", 0);
	return 0;
}

Btw, if I have overloaded a function, __FUNCTION__ just give the name so I don't know which of the functions who threw the exception. Ofcourse I could check the line number, but is the a way to get more that the name with some other macro? [Edited by - Eriond on November 29, 2004 12:32:58 PM]
Advertisement
You're returning a pointer to a local variable.
class DXError{public:	DXError(const std::string& errorMessage, const std::string& fileName, 			const std::string& function, int line) 		: mErrorMessage(errorMessage), mFileName(fileName), mFunction(function),		  mLine(line) {}	const char* ToString() const	{		// error is a local variable		std::string error;		error += "In file: " + mFileName + "\r\n";		error += "In function: " + mFunction + "\r\n";		error += "On line: " + boost::lexical_cast<std::string>(mLine) + "\r\n";		error += "\r\n" + mErrorMessage;		std::ofstream file("output.txt");		file << error;		// return a pointer to the character data held by error		// the return causes the destruction of error, so the pointer returned is no longer valid		return error.c_str();	}private:	std::string mErrorMessage;	std::string mFileName;	std::string mFunction;	int mLine;};#define DX_ERROR(errorMessage) DXError(errorMessage, __FILE__, __FUNCTION__, __LINE__)// later, catching the exceptioncatch(const DXError& e){	MessageBox(0, e.ToString(), "Error", 0);	return 0;}

Solution? Just return a std::string and call c_str() when you call MessageBox, i.e.:
MessageBox(0, e.ToString().c_str(), "Error", 0);

Enigma
Oops, I should have seen that :) Thanks for the help.
In response to your second question, you can use the
__FUNCSIG__ macro to get the signature of the function.
Thanks, I'll try that :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement