Sign in to follow this  
MajinMusashi

Fog question

Recommended Posts

Hi all! I've already posted a similar question before, and it was partially solved. But I'm still curious whether a new idea could be implemented. I just don't know how to make the fog _involves_ all the objects in the scene like a real fog. I have the impression of seeing the fog stucked inside the platform, the model and the containers (it can be seen in the screenshot bellow). Could someone help me? Project + EXE Thanks in advance! [Edited by - MajinMusashi on November 29, 2004 1:45:09 PM]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
If you want fog to involve all objects, then for each object, you have to calculate and apply a fog value, using the visual distance to camera and your fog function. Note that this will likely lead to your skybox being fog-colored all the time, because it's always visually behind everything else.

A work-around for the sky box problem is to make the sky box be mostly fog-colored at ground level, but fade to the actual pretty sky as you go up. This can be done with a shader (to be able to vary fog color), or just painted in (if you have a fixed fog color).

Other work-arounds include limiting the amount that fog can contribute (say to 50%).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by hplus0603
If you want fog to involve all objects, then for each object, you have to calculate and apply a fog value, using the visual distance to camera and your fog function.

Ok, I can almost see it, but if I'm right, the result won't be so realistic, right?

Quote:
Note that this will likely lead to your skybox being fog-colored all the time, because it's always visually behind everything else.

If you take a look at the source you'll find that I'm not using a skybox. It is just a simple flat fixed background (textured quad) rendered in ortho view. Is this a problem?

Quote:
A work-around for the sky box problem is to make the sky box be mostly fog-colored at ground level, but fade to the actual pretty sky as you go up. This can be done with a shader (to be able to vary fog color), or just painted in (if you have a fixed fog color). Other work-arounds include limiting the amount that fog can contribute (say to 50%).

Wooow^2. I've initially thought in something like Quake3 fog in some maps, where it is only near the ground, like real fog or smoke...

Thank you, hplus0603!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
>>If you take a look at the source you'll find that I'm not using a skybox. It is just a simple flat fixed background (textured quad) rendered in ortho view. Is this a problem?<<

how much a vertex gets fogged depends on the distance from the viewer to that vertex, now with this background quad i assume allvertices are gonna be a equal distance away from the viewer thus will all have the same fog amount. perhaps u can draw the fog already on the background texture

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this