What should I know?

Started by
6 comments, last by Adam Gleason 19 years, 4 months ago
What parts of c++ should i have mastered before I begin game programming? I figuered i need Variable Types Functions Pointers References Clases loops ( do/while ) conditions ( if/case ) And then i suppose im going to start on SDL [Edited by - cyberflame on November 29, 2004 3:31:41 PM]
[href]http://neoeden.web1000.com[/href]
Advertisement
I don't think what you need to know to start programming games (or anything, for that matter) can be summed up in a list.

I'd recommend that you start off with very simple programs, stuff like "Hello, world!", and work your way up to more complex programs and games. I think a "learn as you go" process is the best way to get into programming because you can test your knowledge and you get instant results. It also helps that you can stop at any time to learn something you don't quite understand the first time around.

Good luck.
Ra
Depending on if you have any other programming expereince I would add these to the start of the list:

variables ( move to the top )
loops ( do/while )
conditions ( if/case )

After that expect to make a number of dumb console programs like:

Guess the number:
Correct!!

They may seem dumb at the time but will give you invaluable experience in creating working, finished programs. From there I would do a little bit of reading on how to setup bigger projects in your development environment. Stuff like how to use multiple C++/header files, how to use your debugger etc.

From there you can figure out what graphics library you want to use and start to develop graphical version of the same "Guess the number" until you feel good enough to do something like pong
Arg i was kinda in a rush when i made the list so i completely forgot about cases and loops. Let me edit the list.
Also this isnt the first time ive ever programmed. THis is just me trying to get as far far away from basic as i can

(curse you dark basic and your easy syntax CURSE YOUUUUUUUUUU)
Learn all of the language constructs. If you don't use them you still may have to know them when you read someone else's code. These are just the foundation, though. On top of that you'll probably end up learning some of the standard libraries that you'll use and also whatever API you choose. Eventually You need to learn how to solve problems using the language, which means breaking down a complex system into smaller steps. This can only be learned with practice. It's also good to study data structures, because data storage and navigation are crucial for complex programs.
You're cursing easy syntax??? :)

Don't be too hard on DarkBASIC, programming languages are tools and the more of them you know, the better programmer you'll be. And if you want to get as far away from BASIC as possible we can give you a list of *real* languages ;P
well im cursing the easy syntax beacuse im constantly tempted to go back to it.
yeh i learned blitz basic and now i am learning C++ and it is hard. the hard part is like where to space and have paranthesis.

i can say hello world :)

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main()
{
cout << "hello, worl";
cout.put('d');
return 0;
}
-
+click here to veiw sig
+My Myspace