Sign in to follow this  
Rhaal

2D Terrain

Can somebody make sense of this tutorial? He makes a point, then goes onto making another point without backing it up or showing any type of source code. I am thoroughly confused. Well, I get the gist of what he's saying but I can't solidify it in my mind without some type of example code. Tile/Map-Based Game Techniques: Handling Terrain Transitions

No, it's for programmers [sort of].

Essentially it's 2 tricks to reduce the amount of artwork needed to display all the various permutations of terrain transitions.

The first is to create an order of operations based on the texture [rather than tile order] which reduces the number of terrain permutations [instad of doing both forest over grass and grass over forest artwork, you make forest always on top so you only need 1]

The second is to make the actual transition art additive. That makes it so that for example if you need to draw a transition to the left and the upper left, you draw left_transition.pic and uleft_transition.pic rather than draw left_and_uleft_transition.pic;

It should reduce the artwork needed from something unimaginable to something feasible.